workout plan

Options
Hello :) after a bit of help please.

I'm starting back at the gym tomorrow after not going for over a year (had a baby 4 and half months ago) and I just don't know where to start. Before I fell pregnant I was going to the gym and focusing mainly on cardio with a few random goes on the weight machines here and there. I have been doing research and I really want to start a weights plan and add a bit of HIIT training in too. I'm ok with the HIIT training but have no idea how and where to start with the weights. I literally know maybe 5 different exercises on weights and that's about it. I have tried looking for a plan online but half of the exercises I have no idea how to do. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but I have a lot of weight to lose too around 7st (98lb) so I want to lose weight and tone/build muscle.

Does anybody know of a plan that would really help (something like weight lifting for dummies!!) Or have any tips? Would be really appreciated! Thank you :)

Kel

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    For weights you only need about 4 exercises. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press. Those are the core compound lifts that any good program focuses on. Speaking of which, you really should get on a structured program if you're interested in weight training. An easy one for beginners is stronglifts 5x5.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Start out by looking at Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, All Pro Beginner, New Rules of Lifting, Strong Curves, Ice Cream Fitness or any other beginner program. These ready made, time tested beginners programs will help you far more than trying to figure out what to do on your own until you've built up a decent level of strength and knowledge.

*ETA everyone should read the Starting Strength book. It's a wealth of knowledge.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Start out by looking at Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, All Pro Beginner, New Rules of Lifting, Strong Curves, Ice Cream Fitness or any other beginner program. These ready made, time tested beginners programs will help you far more than trying to figure out what to do on your own until you've built up a decent level of strength and knowledge.

*ETA everyone should read the Starting Strength book. It's a wealth of knowledge.

second this.
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    Options

second this.

Brodin has visited these disciples, and given the knowledge of Iron.

Lift using barbells, might be intimidating at first, but trust in Brodin, you will become strong, you will become fit, you will become awesome.

-Wheymen
  • kel913
    kel913 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Have looked into your suggestions and ordered myself a couple of books :smile: