This post may be all over the place...

Options
MFP has set my calories at 1,510. If I want to lose 1lb a week, how much exercise should I be doing? Right now I'm doing Leslie Sansone's videos. Today I burned about 600 calories. If I'm doing CICO, what should I be doing exercise wise? I get heart palpitations so I'm not too keen on lifting weights.

Sorry if this is all over the place, I'm really tired.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you set up your MfP profile to lose 1 pound per week you need to eat 1510 calories per day in order to lose 1 pound per week. Then if you exercise you add those exercise calories in and then you can also eat those extra exercise calories. In other words you don't have to do any exercise in order to lose that one pound per week. However if you do exercise you can eat the extra exercise calories.
  • MeganD_96
    MeganD_96 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I wasn't sure if I was doing this right or not.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " how much exercise should I be doing?" As much, or as little, as you feel comfortable doing. Exercise is not necessary to lose weight, it gives you extra calories to eat. That 1,510 calorie number is "net" of exercise calories burned. Many here will tell you not to eat ALL of them back, as the calorie burns are often overstated, but you are safe eating at least half of them back.

Exercise will make you feel better and give you a healthier body and look as long as you are not over doing it. Listen to your body and do what is within your ever improving limits.

Considering those heart palpitations get your Doctor's clearance before starting an exercise program.
    Be safe
  • MeganD_96
    Options
    On the days that I would workout I would try and eat half back but some days I'm not hungry enough. I walk my dog about 20-30 minutes a day and sometimes I feel like that's enough. Luckily I dont get the palpitations too often but when I do, I know I've pushed myself too far. I'm going to see the doctor on tuesday so I'll ask him if there's anything I should be careful of. Thanks for your help!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate your burn of 600 calories?
  • MeganD_96
    Options
    I have a FitBit but I only take the calorie burn at face value.