Kinesiology Tape just a gimmick?

Options
I was just wondering what your thoughts are on k-tape? I'm going to try it on my shoulder tonight, but I'm worried that I'm just getting sucked in.

Replies

• kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It really helped me last year when I was having problems with my Achilles.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    When I was seeing a physical therapist for my shoulder, she applied the tape to my shoulder. She was telling me that she thinks a lot of people do not know how apply these correctly. Do you know how to apply them correctly?
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It absolutely helped my shoulders when my physical therapist applied it to my shoulders.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I think it "helping" is just in people's heads.

I seem to recall that studies have shown it just has a placebo effect.

There is a slight possibility that taping it somewhat like an old-fashioned bandage might have some benefits, but it's mostly woo, IMNSHO.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have had my physiotherapist use it for SI dysfunction on my right side a few times as well as have a roll at home for when my fingers swell. It really helps with reducing range of motion to prevent more damage and swelling and because of that reduces pain and healing time. I totally think it works, at least from my experience. I highly doubt though it has all the miracle claims that some people talk about.

I would assume that for your shoulder you do not have the right angle to properly apply it, at least to give it the most benifit. Its not like a bandaid you just slap on any which way.
  • adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For what are you using it? I don't think it will make you stronger or better at anything, but in my personal experience works well for minor muscle strains and soreness.

After a really heavy day of weighted triceps dips my left arm was feeling a little off so I bought the tape and put a few pieces on it. The tape definitely helped to keep pressure on my arm while it healed, and I was able to keep working out full strength despite the strain on my triceps.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    What is this, just like sports taping? I swear by that, but it depends on what you are trying to get out of it, I'd expect. Mine's to limit range of motion, too, or with my shoulders to pull them back farther (all for physio reasons).
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It works good. Have some one else put it on for you. Also when you want to get it off eaither get in the hot shower to or use alcohol swabs.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There was an amazing difference in my knee pain (IT band issues ) when the PT put kinesiology tape on it. It was this weird looking design using three pieces of tape. I don't know how you would be able to put it on your own shoulder correctly.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think that depends on what you expect it to help you with and how you intend to use it.

It's only meant to offer support to ligaments and it needs to be applied correctly by someone with an intimate knowledge of ligament anatomy, like a physical therapist, in order to be helpful.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My PT recommended it for my knee, and it made a huge difference. My husband insists it's a placebo effect, but honestly I don't care -- it wasn't all that expensive, and I felt better, which was the ultimate goal.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I've got shoulder issues and the tape doesn't do me much good. What has helped has been finding a small pillow that I use to prop up my arm when I sleep, which keeps my shoulder aligned properly.

Okay--I confess: it's not a pillow. It's a stuffed animal whose name is Shoulder Bear. He's exactly the right size and shape to keep my shoulder in position while I sleep.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If anything, i feel like it pulls my stuff in the right areas and makes me hyper aware of posture/how im using the area.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what it is being used for and who is applying it. A physical therapist who has gone through taping courses and understands physiology of muscle insertions and conditions like edema? Legit. The PTs I work with use it occasionally with patients with great results.

To buy a roll at home and use it randomly? Probably placebo effect for people that don't know what they are doing (and watching YouTube videos doesn't count). I've used it in the past for knee stability, placed by a PT, and my honest opinion is that it gives me better proprioception and awareness of my deficit so that I can correct it (for me, maintaining stabilization while running), but that's my personal opinion.

I've seen awesome results in the use of reduced edema and support for things like shoulder subluxation on patients I've worked with.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I had a PT apply it for an Achilles problem, and, being skeptical, I kinda rolled my eyes when she brought the tape out. Boy, was I wrong. The effect was immediate. It wasn't a cure, but rather was used in conjunction with physical therapy to focus on training the proper muscles rather than compensating with the wrong muscles. It alleviated the pain to allow me to complete the necessary exercises. We used it over the first few PT sessions. Definitely worth a try, but I would think you need a knowledgeable person to apply it properly to maximize effectiveness. I suppose that improper application could result in causing problems by shifting the burden onto the wrong muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    It fine as a temporary support for inflammed tendons and ligaments. Realize that tape is a topical and having it on skin isn't the same as having a brace or sleeve. And the tape is usually single layer so the support is minimal. I use it on my runner's knee and ankle occasionally, but using athlete's sports tape does a better job when wrapped correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I did use a YouTube video by the brand of k-tape I have. .and my fiance put it on because I can't reach. It didn't really help lifting tonight, but I used the "general" taping method. Monday I will use the "rotator cuff" method to see how that goes. I'm not overly optimistic about the tape, but my shoulder hurts like hell and I don't want to go to the doctor just yet.