structured lifting program with limited weights at home.

I have been lifting a little over 3 years but nothing structured,I would like to start a structured lifting program(have seen some results on my own otherwise),but I dont have a lot of weights(2 barbells-not olympic, with weights a total of maybe 130lbs. and some hand weights and kettlebells and a weight bench. my question is how can I do these programs with what I have. I dont have any money to invest in any more weight plates,hand weights or a different bar at the moment,I have NO gym near me(closest one is 60 miles one way,no joke) and craigslist doesnt cater to my area to buy these things cheap(I would have to travel over 60 miles to get to a place it does cater to,to pick items up,I looked). I have been looking on yard sale sites and things like that and people want way too much for gear(they want almost new prices for stuff thats in rough shape). so is it possible that I can still do these programs with what I have? any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Which programs did you want to do? You can still get stronger and see results as long as you are able to progressively increase the weight you use for each exercise, so I would choose exercises that require the equipment that you do have. You might have to customize the program you're doing so it accomodates your limited equipment.

I wouldn't underestimate bodyweight exercises and calisthenics as well. Oftentimes these can be done with very limited equipment or being creative with what is around you. If the closest gym is 60 miles away and you live in the sticks, there are plenty of outdoor exercises you can do without equipment if you're up for it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I was looking into something like 5x5 or programs like that. and I live out of town. not quite the sticks. about a half mile walk but when its too cold not much I can do outdoors that I can think of. Im waiting until it gets warmer to start running because there arent enough sidewalks here and they dont know how to plow like they do in big cities so there is always piles of snow on the side of the road(and they dont treat most of the back roads) and they cinder instead of salt most of the time. dont need to bust my butt or break something lol.so running is out during the winter at least(no track or anything here either,the high school 15 miles away doesnt even have one). but yeah,I can increase a little at a time.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    You can easily do a 5x5 for quite a while on the weights you have unless you have already maxed out the weight.

Most of the moves can be worked with hand weights until you progress to the bar, but since you already have a relatively light bar you can go from there.

I personally like the ALLPRO routine it works rep (8-12) increase before weight increase.

Whichever programme you chose to do start with low weight and get your form correct first, then progress in weight.
    YouTube is great for form and work around videos
    Check out the exercise forum on here there is a lot more info and links to the various programmes.

Cheers, h.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    You can easily do a 5x5 for quite a while on the weights you have unless you have already maxed out the weight.

Most of the moves can be worked with hand weights until you progress to the bar, but since you already have a relatively light bar you can go from there.

I personally like the ALLPRO routine it works rep (8-12) increase before weight increase.

Whichever programme you chose to do start with low weight and get your form correct first, then progress in weight.
    YouTube is great for form and work around videos
    Check out the exercise forum on here there is a lot more info and links to the various programmes.

Cheers, h.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

thanks I have been lifting relatively heavy for almost 3 1/2 years but not maxed out yet. I had to lower my weight some because I couldnt lift for a few months because of having epstein barr virus and my liver and spleen were inflammed so the dr said nothing strenuous and no heavy lifting. so Im basically working my way back up again. but thanks for the info
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited January 2016
    5x5 won't really work as you will max out your weights within the first month or two (many people's starting deadlift weight is already 135lbs). A real 5x5 would have you work up to benching your bodyweight, squatting ~1.5x your bodyweight, and deadlifting ~2x your bodyweight. I suggest strength and conditioning through a different method.

Your workout must have a strength and conditioning component. With limited weights, I recommend getting a pair of Olympic rings, and learn body weight progression (i.e. you can get brutally strong with chin/pull ups, dips, L-sits, etc.). Every person I've seen who does weighted pull ups with a 45lb plate is STRONG.
    check this site out for a program / progression exercises. Add in some weighted work (dumbbell rows, flat/incline dumbbell press, biceps and triceps exercises, goblet squats, Bulgarian split squats, pistol squats once you become advanced.

A good program will have: a vertical push movement, vertical pull, horizontal push, horizontal pull, quad focused leg, hamstring focused leg. Since you have dumbbells and chin up bar / Olympic ring, you can make something up such as an upper/lower 4days/week split:

Day 1: Push and Pull movements for upper body
    Day 2: Legs, Abs, Conditioning
    Day 3: rest
    Day 4: Push and Pull movements for upper body (different from day 1)
    Day 5: Legs, Abs, Conditioning (different from day 2)
    Day 6 and 7: rest

Example off the top of my head:
    Day 1:
    Dumbbell Bench Press, Chin Ups, Incline Dumbbell Bench, Barbell Rows, Biceps and Triceps superset (alternate between them until you can't move arms, 2-3 sets)
    Day 2:
    Bulgarian Split Squat (focus on hitting quads), weighted lunges, 10 minute abs (planks, side sit ups, twists, repeat), Conditioning (Kettlebell swings, burpies, farmer walks)
    Day 4:
    Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press, Pull Ups, Incline Dumbbell Bench, Single Arm Dumbbell Rows, Biceps and Triceps superset
    Day 5:
    Bulgarian Split Squat (quad focused), RDL or SLDL, 10 minutes abs, Conditioning

I choose dumbbell bench as I find you work your muscles more with less weight. Try to progress your chin ups/pull ups into weighted. Bulgarian Split Squats are great for legs as you can use both hands for dumbbells to work on a single leg. Eventually you can progress to pistol squats and even weighted pistol squats in a year or two (work on your ankle flexibility!). Go for 3-4 sets of 5-8 reps on your primary exercise (bench, chin up, Bulgarian split squat, overhead press). This is your strength work. Then 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps on your secondary/accessory exercises (your other exercises after the first ones). This is your strength+hypertrophy stuff. There is no set formula, just consistency.

Conditioning wise, look up HIIT exercises. Burpies, hill sprints, kettlebell exercises, etc. are all fantastic and don't take too long to do, but you will be super gassed by the end. You can include things you are weak at / want to improve. I.e. body weight push ups if you want more upper body mixed in with kettlebell work.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    5x5 won't really work as you will max out your weights within the first month or two (many people's starting deadlift weight is already 135lbs). A real 5x5 would have you work up to benching your bodyweight, squatting ~1.5x your bodyweight, and deadlifting ~2x your bodyweight. I suggest strength and conditioning through a different method.

Your workout must have a strength and conditioning component. With limited weights, I recommend getting a pair of Olympic rings, and learn body weight progression (i.e. you can get brutally strong with chin/pull ups, dips, L-sits, etc.). Every person I've seen who does weighted pull ups with a 45lb plate is STRONG.
    check this site out for a program / progression exercises. Add in some weighted work (dumbbell rows, flat/incline dumbbell press, biceps and triceps exercises, goblet squats, Bulgarian split squats, pistol squats once you become advanced.

A good program will have: a vertical push movement, vertical pull, horizontal push, horizontal pull, quad focused leg, hamstring focused leg. Since you have dumbbells and chin up bar / Olympic ring, you can make something up such as an upper/lower 4days/week split:

Day 1: Push and Pull movements for upper body
    Day 2: Legs, Abs, Conditioning
    Day 3: rest
    Day 4: Push and Pull movements for upper body (different from day 1)
    Day 5: Legs, Abs, Conditioning (different from day 2)
    Day 6 and 7: rest

Example off the top of my head:
    Day 1:
    Dumbbell Bench Press, Chin Ups, Incline Dumbbell Bench, Barbell Rows, Biceps and Triceps superset (alternate between them until you can't move arms, 2-3 sets)
    Day 2:
    Bulgarian Split Squat (focus on hitting quads), weighted lunges, 10 minute abs (planks, side sit ups, twists, repeat), Conditioning (Kettlebell swings, burpies, farmer walks)
    Day 4:
    Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press, Pull Ups, Incline Dumbbell Bench, Single Arm Dumbbell Rows, Biceps and Triceps superset
    Day 5:
    Bulgarian Split Squat (quad focused), RDL or SLDL, 10 minutes abs, Conditioning

I choose dumbbell bench as I find you work your muscles more with less weight. Try to progress your chin ups/pull ups into weighted. Bulgarian Split Squats are great for legs as you can use both hands for dumbbells to work on a single leg. Eventually you can progress to pistol squats and even weighted pistol squats in a year or two (work on your ankle flexibility!). Go for 3-4 sets of 5-8 reps on your primary exercise (bench, chin up, Bulgarian split squat, overhead press). This is your strength work. Then 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps on your secondary/accessory exercises (your other exercises after the first ones). This is your strength+hypertrophy stuff. There is no set formula, just consistency.

Conditioning wise, look up HIIT exercises. Burpies, hill sprints, kettlebell exercises, etc. are all fantastic and don't take too long to do, but you will be super gassed by the end. You can include things you are weak at / want to improve. I.e. body weight push ups if you want more upper body mixed in with kettlebell work.

well I dont have a gym nearby and cant do any pull ups,chin ups(dont have a chinup bar or anything so dont know where the message got crossed that I owned those,,,anyway) unless I walk a half mile in the cold to the park where they only have bars I could do pullups on. but I do all those other exercises you listed.as for pushups 3 1/2 years later I still cant do a normal one for some stupid reason. I can go part of the way down,but thats it. I was lifting over 65 lbs but had to cut back to about half because I got sick and couldnt lift heavy(drs orders). so Im working my way back up again. I have 2 weight bars(none olympic though), have about 130+lbs in plates, a set of 15 lb hand weights,a set of 20lbs,a 10lb&20lb kettlebell,a weight bench(I wont count the 2&5# hand weights lol) I also have resistance bands,and a jump rope but no place to jump right now,ceilings are too low for that. my lower body is stronger than my upper body. but thats usually the case with women lol.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Hi @CharlieBeansmomTracey I posted the All Pro programme above,and the more I think of it the more I think this, over a 5x5, may suit you better as you are recovering from Epstein-Barr.

It is a little slower, with the rep instead of weight increases, so will put a little less strain on your body. It will also lengthen the time you can use your existing equipment. You only up the weight every 4 weeks instead of every lift.

You could follow this for 3-4 months then switch to a 5x5.

Just a suggestion for getting as much as you can out of the equipment you have.

Cheers, h.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    @middlehaitch ,thank you for posting that. Im going to look into it