Is the obesity crisis hiding a bigger problem

Options
I like to listen to TED Talks while I cook dinner, and this one was in my queue today. It kind of blew my mind. It's about 15 minutes long, so it does take some time to get through. I think it is important for everyone to listen to this talk from a doctor who is fighting type 2 diabetes. Everyone can benefit from this knowledge.

http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_what_if_we_re_wrong_about_diabetes.html

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Listening now - thanks
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Ted talks, this one included, are jewels to be cherished.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Fantastic Viewing. Thank You. Passing it on....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options
    The reverse theory that insulin resistance causes obesity is interesting, but a real stretch and considering he and his partner Gary Taubes in their newly formed company, The Eating Academy and are proponents of low carb, so it's not surprising that he may think that insulin resistance causes obesity and not the simple fact that too many calories might create these symptoms.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    The reverse theory that insulin resistance causes obesity is interesting, but a real stretch and considering he and his partner Gary Taubes in their newly formed company, The Eating Academy and are proponents of low carb, so it's not surprising that he may think that insulin resistance causes obesity and not the simple fact that too many calories might create these symptoms.

types of carbs does matter for these people. that's not just 'what he thinks'.
  • neanderthin
    Options

A calorie restriction has the same effect as restricting carbs for people with diabetes and IR........take a look at the twinkie diet. Basically he's saying carbs cause obesity.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yep, that was a great TED talk. I shared it with my MFP friends a few days ago.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

A calorie restriction has the same effect as restricting carbs for people with diabetes and IR........take a look at the twinkie diet.

A calorie restriction didn't have the same effect for me. I'm IR (and have PCOS). I had to limit my carbs and address a couple of food sensitivities. My IR has improved greatly, but I still can't eat carbs freely, like someone who is metabolically healthy can.
  • neanderthin
    Options

A calorie restriction has the same effect as restricting carbs for people with diabetes and IR........take a look at the twinkie diet.

A calorie restriction didn't have the same effect for me. I'm IR (and have PCOS). I had to limit my carbs and address a couple of food sensitivities. My IR has improved greatly, but I still can't eat carbs freely, like someone who is metabolically healthy can.
    Yes, PCOS is a different game for sure and low carb is the best route, no doubt about it.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Very interesting to listen to. I have no idea if his theory is right or wrong but WE would be wrong to dismiss it totally before knowing for sure. What if he IS right?

We all know that we need to reduce the amount of food we eat in order to stay healthy. What if the official recommendation for carbohydrate consumption is too high and should be reduced?

I am no supporter of any type of "cut THIS food out of your diet and you'll lose weight" propaganda, but I dare say it won't hurt us at all if we reduce the amount of carbs and glucose in our food.

Thanks for posting this, OP!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The causes of obesity are many. I don't think there is a singular cause. Environment, diet, lack of physical activity might all be contributing factors. Medical science still doesn't completely understand the digestive system.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Posted this earlier today but also relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM