Metabolism pills

Options
I pretty sure I have the worst metoblism on this planet and I am working on it but it's not going anywhere. I have a good diet and pretty regular excerpted but nothing is happening. Are there metoblism pills that any of you would recommend?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Metabolic problems are pretty rare. What is the reason why you think your metabolism is slower than usual?

If you have a true metabolic disorder, a doctor may be able to help you. But there is no over-the-counter pill that is going to increase your metabolism.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Building muscle and exercise helps. How long have you been stuck?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You might not be getting enough daily calories or protein.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Metabolic problems are pretty rare. What is the reason why you think your metabolism is slower than usual?

If you have a true metabolic disorder, a doctor may be able to help you. But there is no over-the-counter pill that is going to increase your metabolism.

This.

What makes you think you have a terrible metabolism? Is it just because you're not losing weight? If so, you probably just need to work on your logging and accuracy.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    gtshop97 wrote: »
    I pretty sure I have the worst metoblism on this planet and I am working on it but it's not going anywhere. I have a good diet and pretty regular excerpted but nothing is happening. Are there metoblism pills that any of you would recommend?

Yes, but they're highly addictive, mind altering and will rot your teeth, steal your lifestyle and possibly lead to time in jail.

You can make the stuff at home. I think they even made a show about it.
    It's called Breaking Bad.

On a serious note, though. If you truly have metabolic issues a doctor may be able to help you because, as stated above, those issues are both medical and rare.
    If you're having trouble with your diet it's likely due to other reasons.
    Check out the threads linked in the "most helpful posts" sticky of this forum.
    Calorie Counting 101
    You're Likely Eating More Than You Think
    and others listed there are extremely helpful.

Sorry we weren't able to offer you any kind of quick or easy fix.
    Taking control of weight issues most often requires a lot of patience, hard work, dedication and education.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

If there was an OTC pill that increased metabolism legitimately nobody would have weight to lose, you feel me?

You need to see a doctor if your actually have a slow metabolism, but in all likelihood, because the following are more common: you are eating more than you think and/or overestimating calorie burns, you aren't being realistic with your goals (hoping to see HUGE losses weekly) or don't actually need to lose any weight and have dysmorphia.

ETA: I see you are 18 and have been here 10 days. You need to be very specific about your current weight/height, your caloric intake, your exercise, and you goals (overall and pounds per week).
  • leesagent
    leesagent Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I think I'm the same (slower metabolism) from too many years of crash diets and loosing muscle. The best thing to do to help a slower metabolism is to exercise(helps build the muscle that has been lost), eat healthy foods to keep the "furnace" burning, smaller amounts spread out over the day (5 to 6 mini meals)
    I have just read alot of great info about virgin coconut oil and its ability to help in weight loss, which I have incorporated into my diet
    Unfortunately there is no quick fix(if I knew of one I would be the first to use it !!) The best thing is consistency,and when you "fall down" be kind to yourself and start right back into your program
    I love that there is a forum for us to ask for help !! TERRIFIC ! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

My walk at lunch time never fails to energize me.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I agree with kshama2001 about the walking during the day. If you really think something is wrong, get your thyroid checked. I found out mine was very low (hypothyroidism) and now take medicine that has definitely helped.
  • langecornu
    langecornu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You could try some biotin supplement. This is OTC and pretty low risk

"Biotin is essential for your metabolic process. This vitamin processes nearly every type of food that you ingest, including carbohydrates, protein and fat. When biotin levels are at the proper levels in your body, the food that you take in will be processed quickly. Your doctor may even prescribe a biotin supplement if you suffer from metabolic issues, since it can help get your metabolism up to normal functioning levels quickly. "

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/the-benefits-of-biotin.html

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do watch this documentary on weight loss. It will be helpful and enlightening.
    http://www.documentarytube.com/videos/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-losing-weight
    I got this link last year from an MFP post. I believe this documentary was on BBC at some point. Anyway, there is some outstanding information, including the hard truth about many of us who believe that we have abnormally slow metabolisms.

Stay away from gimmicks and stick with the science. If you think you have a true problem, see a good physician.
  • PrettyDebbie
    PrettyDebbie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who mentioned going for a lunch time walk. I'd say to do that in ADDITION to your regular exercise routine. Regularly drinking warm lemon water (use a real lemon) with a touch of cayenne is good. Taking a Thermogenic might help also (GNC.)
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You might not be getting enough daily calories or protein.

If this person wasn't eating enough calories for their TDEE, they would be losing weight.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    At one point, I thought I had a metabolic disorder. I was measuring stuff and kinda exercising and not losing weight. It turns out, my metabolism is fine, but my accuracy at counting calories was WAY off. I'm not saying that's your problem, but that it could be. I was trying to eat 1500...my maintenance would have been around 23-2400....I was maintaining. People told me that I was underestimating my calories and that's why I wasn't losing. I didn't think it was possible I was underestimating by that much...but I was. Again, not saying you have the same problem, but it's worth looking into.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who mentioned going for a lunch time walk. I'd say to do that in ADDITION to your regular exercise routine. Regularly drinking warm lemon water (use a real lemon) with a touch of cayenne is good. Taking a Thermogenic might help also (GNC.)

Walking: good.

Lemon water, cayenne, and otc "fat burners": uselesss.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Walking: good.

Lemon water, cayenne, and otc "fat burners": uselesss.

^ This. Lemon water and cayenne is fine if you like hot, lemony water, but it does absolutely nothing for weight loss. Any "fat burner" or "metabolism booster" you can buy legally over the counter is nothing more than a complete waste of money. The only place it helps you lose weight is making your wallet lighter.

If you want a metabolism boost, sit less and move more. It's free, and far more effective than anything you can buy.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    leesagent wrote: »
    Hello, I think I'm the same (slower metabolism) from too many years of crash diets and loosing muscle. The best thing to do to help a slower metabolism is to exercise(helps build the muscle that has been lost), eat healthy foods to keep the "furnace" burning, smaller amounts spread out over the day (5 to 6 mini meals)
    I have just read alot of great info about virgin coconut oil and its ability to help in weight loss, which I have incorporated into my diet
    Unfortunately there is no quick fix(if I knew of one I would be the first to use it !!) The best thing is consistency,and when you "fall down" be kind to yourself and start right back into your program
    I love that there is a forum for us to ask for help !! TERRIFIC ! :)

you dont have to eat healthy foods to keep the "furnace burning" your metabolism is working all the time and if not well then youre dead,all thats needed is a caloric deficit to lose weigh, but eating healthy foods is better in the long run. you dont have to have 5-6 mini meals unless you have issues with insulin or another health issue and need to eat that often. and coconut oil is not a magic food. it doesnt help you lose weight. I gained weight on it,sure you can incorporate it into your diet. it is a healthy fat but not a weight loss food, there is no such thing.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Are there metoblism pills that any of you would recommend?

No
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

You might benefit from watching this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

A flow chart MFP put together for people struggling.

7xlqjgcd2k45.jpg