Work out

Options
How much cardio and strength training do I have to do weekly to lose weight. I'm afraid I will gain muscle and not burn fat...I enjoy cardio than strength training so what should I be focusing on for weight loss? HELP PLEASE.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Strength training and cardio will not do much on their own. In fact, if you're not in a deficit you can exercise and gain weight.

You will not simply "gain muscle" from adding a bit of exercise to a calorie deficit. For weight loss focus on your caloric intake, getting enough cardio for heart health benefits, and resistance training for maintaining lean body mass (muscle).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do any, you can lose weight simply by reducing the number of calories that you eat.

Exercise, however, can be great for fitness, mood, and energy. Doing strength training while losing weight will help protect your existing muscle.

Don't be afraid of gaining muscle. Muscle is amazing stuff that gives your body a great support and makes you look amazing. And women can't put on muscle weight very easily, so it isn't like you're going to bulk yourself out accidentally.