Metabolism

Options
I heard somewhere that at least once a week, it is a good thing to bust over your calorie limit so your metabolism is not slowing down too much(Causing to lose weight at a much slower rate).

The person also told me not to take advantage of this to eat bad food but simply to go over my calorie limit by like 25% with nutritions food.

Anybody has a take on this?

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Having a higher calorie intake wont have any impact on your metabolism, and it definitely wont speed up your weight loss. The only thing that matters for losing weight is calories in vs calories out.
    Also there are no 'bad foods'. From a nutrition standpoint, some foods are better than others, but for weight loss you could in theory live off pizza and chips for every meal and still lose weight (although it would obviously lead to other health issues).

Some people do find it useful to have one 'cheat' day- or a day where they eat a little over their allotted calories (or eat to maintenance) as they feel it stops them binge eating in the long term. Obviously its up to you if you want to do this- depending on your daily goal eating over your calories could erase a chunk of your weekly deficit, but if you're careful it wont slow your rate of loss by much.

TLDR; eating over your calorie limit one day a week wont speed up your metabolism. Weight loss is all CICO. There are no bad foods.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    langecornu wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that at least once a week, it is a good thing to bust over your calorie limit so your metabolism is not slowing down too much(Causing to lose weight at a much slower rate).

The person also told me not to take advantage of this to eat bad food but simply to go over my calorie limit by like 25% with nutritions food.

Anybody has a take on this?

Yeah

It's bollox
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So say your weekly defecit is 3500 to lose a lb a week

And your TDEE is 2500

On your 25% over day you just reduce your weekly defecit by 625 calories so will marginally slow down your weight loss

It may help you stick to it for emotional reasons particularly if you consider certain foods to be "bad"

For me if I feel the need to "cheat" it's a sign I'm restricting unduly
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    This person has a misunderstanding of the truth.

Severe calorie restriction over a long period of time can result in metabolic adaption but a moderate deficit for safe weight loss won't be an issue for this.

If you're a bodybuilder eating <1,000 calories over a long period of time in an attempt to get from 6% to 4% body fat then you may have issues.
    If you're a normal human being eating at a moderate deficit to get into a smaller pair of jeans, don't worry about it.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So say your weekly defecit is 3500 to lose a lb a week

And your TDEE is 2500

On your 25% over day you just reduce your weekly defecit by 625 calories so will marginally slow down your weight loss

It may help you stick to it for emotional reasons particularly if you consider certain foods to be "bad"

For me if I feel the need to "cheat" it's a sign I'm restricting unduly

Yes
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say actually I have one meal a week where I deliberately go over my normal calorie cap and have a pudding. It will put me at or slightly over my calorie cap for that day (I'm normally fairly far under). That night is a Saturday and I ALWAYS lose my biggest amount of weight on a Monday. Strange but it works for me both psychologically and physically.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    jmgj27 wrote: »
    Interesting! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say actually I have one meal a week where I deliberately go over my normal calorie cap and have a pudding. It will put me at or slightly over my calorie cap for that day (I'm normally fairly far under). That night is a Saturday and I ALWAYS lose my biggest amount of weight on a Monday. Strange but it works for me both psychologically and physically.

I take it you weigh every day? If your biggest intake is Saturday it's likely that Sunday shows that weight (of the food itself) still in your digestive system and you've passed it by Monday's weigh in, giving the illusion of a greater loss.
    Water may also be a factor.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes - calorie cycling. Makes sense. Also called a re-feed day.