Calories in Red Lobster live Maine lobster?

Options
Tobysgirl212
Tobysgirl212 Posts: 27 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
The website says the live Maine lobster meal is 730 calories, but that includes all the sides. But since I will order steamed sides, I don't want to include all of that. I'm estimating 3 oz of lobster meat. Does anyone know how many cals are in the butter it comes with?

Here is their nutrition guide:
https://www.redlobster.com/health/nutrition/Nutrition_Facts.pdf

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Anything you cook at home will generally have less calories. I'd be inclined to believe that website, myself. You don't really know what they're adding to the food to give it awesome flavor but lots of calories.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A boiled lobster is a boiled lobster really. . if you didn't eat the sides with it I would just go by the usda info on the size lobster you had. . ie. 1 pound 1.5 pound or whatever. . or just call it the 3 oz..and guess on the butter as close as you can. one or 2 oz and if it was salted or not.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Butter is listed under their dipping sauces menu. It says 350 cals, but doesn't say for how much.

It's likely clarified butter, so slightly more calorie dense than regular butter. USDA probably has nutrition info for clarified butter per gram/ounce.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My advice: just eat your lobster and enjoy it. :) Take a day off from logging.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

i second that.....
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

i second that.....

I agree. Back in December we had some friends from out of town come in that we see about every 5-8 years and wanted to treat them. So we made our first trip to Novilos. It is a very good Brazilian steakhouse where they come by with swords of prime meat and such. Yeah, I tried to guess on everything when I got home, even knowing I was gonna be around 5000+ calories for the day. Not going to do it again. Mom is visiting from Michigan this coming week and we are taking her there as a treat to all of us. It will be my last official "holiday" eating splurge. Not even gonna bother to log it. I know I will be bad. :) I am just going to enjoy it and the time she is here with home made chocolate chip cookies and such. Movin on after she leaves. :)
  • Tobysgirl212
    Tobysgirl212 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm all for enjoying an occasional celebratory meal without a thought to calories, but we eat out regularly and I prefer to have a working knowledge of what I'm putting in. You guys are so good at estimating and I'm grateful for all the tips on this board!
  • Zellyrus
    Zellyrus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My advice is to ignore the butter and just enjoy the lobster! (I always thought it ruined the lobster taste personally).
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Zellyrus wrote: »
    My advice is to ignore the butter and just enjoy the lobster! (I always thought it ruined the lobster taste personally).
    Lobster without butter is sadness. ;)

To the OP: Use the usda equivalent values wherever possible if the restaurant ones are iffy, or it includes sides that you're not eating. It should get you close enough that unless you're eating there every day, you should be good to go. When I'm uncertain, I'll add in a few hundred extra calories in a Quick Add as a buffer. :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I would skip the butter (I really don't care for seafood dipped in butter) and use cocktail sauce. Also, when you order your steamed vegetables, make sure you tell them you don't want any butter on them. Years ago, when I worked at Red Lobster, they would pour butter over the steamed veggies. Steamed lobster doesn't have a ton of calories, so it's a good choice for a lower calorie dining out meal.