Restarting Low Carb for 2016

Options
I am in my early 50s and I have 2 daughters. I started low carb at the end of 2013 with unbelievable focus and determination to achieve my weightloss goals. I had great results and lost over 40 lbs. I looked good, felt great and energetic! The compliments told me that it wasn't just my imagination. Life got busy and complicated. I got overly confident. I stopped tracking and slowly but surely carb-creep occurred. From Spring through Fall of 2015 I regained over 20 lbs. I tried to start again before the end of 2015 but it was a struggle with all the holiday gatherings and I was feeling unmotivated / discouraged. So I started the journey again during the first week of January. I am now about 2 weeks into the restart and I've lost about 10 lbs. I decided to be active on myfitnesspal to get my head fully into the process and join some low carb groups to help me along the way. I am about 215 lbs right now and my initial target is to get to about 160 lbs. That means as of today, I am 55 lbs away from my initial goal. it is clear to me that tracking is a critical part of the process and I underestimated how much it supports personal accountability when you can see what you are actually eating and doing in black and white (and see also the result of your choices). My goal is to get into a healthy lifestyle that works for me before I get out of the early 50s. I have almost 2 years to get that done but hopefully I can achieve my health goals before the mid-fifties are upon me. I need to rewire my brain because I have a carb addiction and it is definitely working against my health/wellness goals. I am humbled after my back-slide and now I need to learn what it takes not only to get to my goal but to maintain it!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes! You can do this!!
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jenn! I'm just getting back to low carb after losing my way as well, and also turning 55 in a few weeks. I have a lot more to lose, plus type 2 diabetes issues. I hired a dietitian that supports my food philosophy, but find that I need more people in my life to help me with my motivation.

My dietitian has me take 500 mg of l-glutamine about 15 minutes before each meal. It really helps with protein absorbtion, which helps with satiety and really curbs carb cravings.

Wish you all the best!

Georgia
  • JennBuckish
    JennBuckish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    geoblewis wrote: »
    Welcome Jenn! I'm just getting back to low carb after losing my way as well, and also turning 55 in a few weeks. I have a lot more to lose, plus type 2 diabetes issues. I hired a dietitian that supports my food philosophy, but find that I need more people in my life to help me with my motivation.

My dietitian has me take 500 mg of l-glutamine about 15 minutes before each meal. It really helps with protein absorbtion, which helps with satiety and really curbs carb cravings.

Wish you all the best!

Georgia

Thank you Georgia! Definitely it helps to have support from others, especially those on a similar path since we understand the ups and downs of the journey. I wish you all the best as well!

• JennBuckish
    JennBuckish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Best wishes! You can do this!!

Thank you!