Poop as a Weight Loss Treatment??

Options

Replies

• EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    LMFAO! I just said the same thing on my page. Absolutely DISGUSTING!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Orlistat (sp)

• blondierunner2015
    blondierunner2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That's NASTY! It's a waste product of our bodies and carries disease...gross
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Originally it was for obese people that had absolutely no other explanation to why they could not lose the weight. I guess they are expanding on the research now.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    That's NASTY! It's a waste product of our bodies and carries disease...gross

Poop transplants are actually quite useful in treating gastrointestinal disorders, like if you have c. diff which is particularly nasty.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    While I'm fascinated by the potential link between the gut microbiome and bodyweight, I don't feel any desire to volunteer for the studies
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fecal transplants are used with great success to treat infections in the digestive system (namely C. difficile colitis). The sick person gets a boost of desirable bacteria from the overall healthy, disease-free person. The most common methods is blending a few hundred grams of stool with saline into a slurry and then administering it either through a nasal tube or a colonoscope.
  • SisC3
    SisC3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is an emerging field of study. At this time they don't know which gut bacteria are good for you. They know that some people have more of one type then another.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    They don't know a lot yet about what gut bacteria combinations are good for ordinary people in ordinary circumstances, but the verdict is pretty much in on the use of fecal transplants to cure C. difficile. There's not really any doubt left that it works hugely better than the traditional antibiotic treatment, which is a good thing, because C. diff is really really bad. The only thing holding it back is the "yuck" factor. They'll eventually find some way to market and administer it that gets us past that--they'll just call it a special kind of probiotic or something.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think I'll just keep taking my probiotic, which has vastly improved my intestinal functioning.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    They don't know a lot yet about what gut bacteria combinations are good for ordinary people in ordinary circumstances, but the verdict is pretty much in on the use of fecal transplants to cure C. difficile. There's not really any doubt left that it works hugely better than the traditional antibiotic treatment, which is a good thing, because C. diff is really really bad. The only thing holding it back is the "yuck" factor. They'll eventually find some way to market and administer it that gets us past that--they'll just call it a special kind of probiotic or something.

This.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »

Not at all.

I think I'm past the danger period, but I was one c-diff relapse shy of needing a fecal transplant (what they do when there isn't a trial for the poop pills in your area. In late August last year, I took an antibiotic known to cause c diff. I knew it, but was too exhausted to fight with the nurse to have a discussion with the doctor about alternatives that are safer - and c diff seemed like a remote risk.

A month later, I developed an extremely intransigent form of c diff with such atypical symptoms that it was only diagnosed after a colonoscopy. I was treated, then relapsed, then treated, then relapsed, then treated, then relapsed, then treated, then relapsed, then treated. That's 5 bouts in less than a year - from September 1 through April or so. All but the first treatment cost thousands of dollars.

If you think poop pills are gross, try living with c diff for months on end. I gave it to my father in the process - who coincidentally was on the same antibiotic (a favorite for dentists for patients who are allergic to penicillin). I will spare you the details, but if you are curious feel free to google c diff symptoms. Make sure you have a barf bag before you google if you are grossed out by the treatment. But beyond gross, c diff is also deadly. My father's mother died from it, so you can imagine the emotional hit contracting it from me had on him.

Fecal transplants and/or poop pills are an extremely effective treatment for c diff (as well as IBD and potentially both obesity and diabetes - the evidence is strong enough there reputable places will not accept someone with either condtion as a fecal donor).

I would gladly eat poop pills or have a fecal transplant to avoid another bout with c diff - or to avoid transmitting it to loved ones.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see that there will be more research into this. If the research were to show it to be an effective treatment, I would gladly eat poop pills or have a fecal transplant.