But what did you really do to lose weight?

Options
daross16
daross16 Posts: 107 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
You know, if you look at any of my other posts, it's always in the style of ranting. It's what I do best. Every college paper I ever got praise for was also a well-organized rant.
ANYWAYS- I'm trying to crack the case:
What did you REALLY do to lose weight? This is best answered by women because men tend to lose weight differently.
I always see success stories and the answer is always so vague: "Oh, I just worked really hard. Ate clean and worked out five days a week." "It was all strength training." "Oh I walked 30 minutes all day" "I only ate pickles for all year."
Great. Glad for you. But can you be more specific? Give a general idea of your workout schedule? Did you do it home, at the gym, with weights, circuit training, how many calories were you working with, etc?

So tl;dr: What, in reasonable detail, did you do to lose weight?
I'm not looking for sassy responses or "constructive criticism." Just a straight answer.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Ate less calories than I burned. Or at least that's what I'm doing. No secret, no plan, no "diet". Calories in vs calories out. 41lbs down so far.

Do I work out? Yes but that's irrelevant really, it just increases the calories out part of the equation so I can eat more and helps retain muscle while losing.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    CICO
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I put my stats in MFP and I count every calorie. I choose not to eat breakfast so that I can eat more of the foods I enjoy even if they are higher calorie while still staying in a deficit. I want to exercise more, but I really like being lazy. Occasionally, and I mean every once in a while, I do yoga or walk around the park. I've lost 35 pounds.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Counted my calories and made sure to be in a calorie deficit. I was able to do so by weighing my food on a food scale and choosing the correct entries in this app.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I tracked the number of calories I ate by using some simple tools (food scale, calorie database) so I could ensure I was meeting the calorie goal provided by MFP. I netted 1,260-1,400 during the time I was losing weight. I did eat exercise calories back, making allowances for over-estimation in the MFP database. I didn't really eat clean or focus on macros beyond making sure that I was getting sufficient protein and fat.

I worked out (running six days a week, cross-training 1 day a week, resistance training every day), but I don't think this would have done anything without the deficit. I did my workouts outside, in my living room, and in the gym room in my apartment building.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I walk and cut calories. I try to spread my calories out so I don't get hangry and make bad decisions. That's literally all there is to it for me.
  • daross16
    Options
    CICO
    check in check out...or Chongqing International Construction Corporation?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I look at how many calories I burn per day, including any exercise, and subtract a deficit in order to lose weight. There's no magic solution, you just have to eat less than you burn. If someone loses weight just eating low carb/fat/pickles, then they ate fewer calories than they burned. That's really it.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    daross16 wrote: »
    CICO

Calories in Calories out
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    CICO

She made sure her Calories In were less than her Calories Out.

That's what everyone needs to do to lose weight. How you get there is personal preference. I like to weigh my food on a digital food scale and exercise. I walk/hike most days at lunch and three times a week lift weights or do bodyweight exercises.

I got a fitbit for Christmas and found it helps motivate me to walk longer distances.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    CICO

Calories in Calories out

specifically Calories in < Calories out
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm on a cut after a bulk now, but initially I lost 26lbs over 8 months. I used Fitbit to estimate my daily burn, and ate 250-500 calories less than that daily (synced my fitbit to mfp aids in this).
    My diary is open to the public, so anyone who cares can see what I eat. My cut plan is exactly the same now as initially. Currently, my gross calorie intake is an average of 1750 (a 400 calorie deficit).

As far as fitness, I do progressive bodyweight strength training (specifically, You Are Your Own Gym, which is 35-45 min, every other day), plus I walk an average of 10,000 steps daily.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ate less and moved more. no special tricks. nothing complicated. Once I got the hang of that I started lifting weights - really heavy weights. I lost 95 pounds doing that and when I stopped doing that I gained 25 pounds back. Now I'm back to eating less and moving more and I'm down 5 pounds. I workout about 3(ish) times a week with cardio and lifting. Sometimes I go to the gym and sometimes I workout at home using Daily Burn.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Used MFP, a food scale and a fitness tracker as the tools to keep me on track and accountable.
  • daross16
    Options
    I'm on a cut after a bulk now, but initially I lost 26lbs over 8 months. I used Fitbit to estimate my daily burn, and ate 250-500 calories less than that daily (synced my fitbit to mfp aids in this).
    My diary is open to the public, so anyone who cares can see what I eat. My cut plan is exactly the same now as initially. Currently, my gross calorie intake is an average of 1750 (a 400 calorie deficit).

As far as fitness, I do progressive bodyweight strength training (specifically, You Are Your Own Gym, which is 35-45 min, every other day), plus I walk an average of 10,000 steps daily.

THIS is a specific answer. Thank you!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Well, I lost 55 pounds over the course of a year. I started at 1700 calories (based on my stats) and 20 min of exercise daily. Sometimes that was walking, belly dance dvds, or Richard Simmons dvds. Sometimes I took cheat days every week and sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I added weights and sometimes I didn't. For a while I increased my weight loss goals from one pound per week to two pounds per week (decreasing my calories) and then I backed off for a while and slowed down. Sometimes I added an hour of running or 20 minutes of circuit training 5 days a week and sometimes I did that 3 days a week. I slowly started to pay more attention to macros and protein intake and micronutrients. Overall, I kept my calories lower than what my body uses and made changes based on what works best for my lifestyle.

Is that a reasonable amount of detail?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I logged food and exercise. Use the mpf calculator to determine your goals weekly, then follow suit. Stay in a deficit. I didn't have a specific diet plan, but did try to eat a lot of veggies and less bread. I also worked out up to 3x/day on work days.
    AM: exercise dvd (like 30 day shred)
    mid am: treadmill power walk
    PM: walk, jog, or circuit with weights.
    Weekends were either a longer run or 45min-1 hour long workout dvd(check out the firm or Denise Austin).
    I also started strength training with a power lifting team after losing the weight. Lifting earlier would have been good, but the coach invited me late in my weight loss journey. Using weights and eating enough protein will help you minimize muscle loss as you lose weight(higher % loss will be fat).
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I stick to my calories most days and go over occasionally but not by a lot very often. I eat anything I want I just eat less of it. I do try to make most meals and snacks low calorie so that I can indulge at least once daily. I'm eating the way I used to before I gained except less amounts for now. Well I do eat a lot more meat than I did in the past but really I wasn't eating enough protein then. I want to have this as real life. It's not torture at all to me doing this.

I do try to get up and move daily other than normal activity. I have some mobility issues that prevent that time to time so I make the best of it on the good days. I try to either get in a good walk - which isn't as easy now that we've moved - or at least ride the stationary bike 4 or 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes. I like a good several mile hike at least 2 or 3 times monthly but that hasn't been possible as of late. Now I'm waiting for improvement in the weather and I'll be back at that. I lose much much faster when I stay even moderately active. I do some strength training and want to try heavier lifting again soon.

I'm also still losing and have a long way to go but last year was successful for me.
  • daross16
    Options
    I tracked the number of calories I ate by using some simple tools (food scale, calorie database) so I could ensure I was meeting the calorie goal provided by MFP. I netted 1,260-1,400 during the time I was losing weight. I did eat exercise calories back, making allowances for over-estimation in the MFP database. I didn't really eat clean or focus on macros beyond making sure that I was getting sufficient protein and fat.

I worked out (running six days a week, cross-training 1 day a week, resistance training every day), but I don't think this would have done anything without the deficit. I did my workouts outside, in my living room, and in the gym room in my apartment building.

Thanks!