Sugar detox

Options
Ok so in considering doing a sugar detox but I've heard things like I should expect it to effect my immune system, to have headaches and to feel crappy for awhile. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for some real life stories. And any reccomendations to be succesful?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It's unnecessary. If you want to eat low carb, go ahead. But it's not required. Detoxing is not a thing.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How do you do a sugar detox?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well you can reduce the amount of sugar you eat if you wish to

But all it will do is reduce the amount of sugar you eat

That may help you stick to a calorie defecit

But it will not detoxify any part of your body
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your liver and kidneys detox for you.

Are you talking about just cutting back on sugar?

I've only heard of headaches and feeling crappy from caffeine withdrawl (like from cutting out regular soda).
  • katiethemusical
    katiethemusical Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done Dr. Hyman's 10 day sugar detox. I agree that it's not really detoxifying from anything, but it definitely helps with sugar(/caffeine/carb) cravings. Of the 10 days where you're supposed to stick to this paleo, low-sugar food plan, the first three or four are usually bad for cravings and headaches. If you can make it through that though, you're in good shape - I always feel awesome by day 10. A great way to come back from the holidays when maybe a bit too much indulgence was had, though you'll still have to lay off the processed sugar once the 10 days are up if you want to see continuing results.
    I'm not a doctor, just going from my own experience! Dr. Hyman helps explain some of the ideas behind this on his website, http://drhyman.com/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I cut out added sugar for a while in Jan '14 and Jan '15. I don't eat much fruit in the winter, since I mostly prefer seasonal fruit, so was getting sugar mainly from vegetables and plain greek yogurt and sweet potatoes/beets. I didn't feel different at all. No symptoms -- far different IME than cutting caffeine. (I didn't previously drink sugary soda, though, with sugar + caffeine.) It also wasn't particularly challenging, although I do prefer to be able to eat some sweet foods in moderation, as I currently do.

I think the "sugar detox" things are really some kind of low carb plan, though. I hate the misuse of the "detox" term.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of cutting it out and possibly feeling miserable, one can taper down the sugar if they want.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Dr Hyman is a bit of a woo merchant who makes his money selling derp and supplements ...avoid
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cutting sugar might result in feeling a bit poorly for a few days if your body was used to the higher levels of carbs. Some people find that increasing sodium (over 3000mg), and possibly potassium and magnesium, can often help. Try having a cup of broth for a few days to increase your salt levels.

I feel better with low sugar intake. Good luck with it.
  • Ntdrkyet
    Ntdrkyet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I knew the "detox" term seemed a bit out of place. I'll stick to my low carb plan. I don't drink soda or sport drinks anyway. Fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean protein seem to be the best bet. Thanks again. :*