Needing tech help. Looking to buy a waterproof video camera.

Options
totalsham
totalsham Posts: 217 Member
Going on a few trips that involve water. Would like to get a video camera to record things we end up doing. so i been looking high and low and im beyond f'ing lost. I am really out of my element when it comes to this crap. The three i been looking at all seem to have great pros and low low cons.... here is the three i looked at, guys i need some assistance!

GoPro HERO3: Black Edition
http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHX-301-HERO3-Black-Edition/dp/B009TCD8V8/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1RM8LKRZVFWD

Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera
http://www.amazon.com/Contour-ROAM2-Waterproof-Video-Camera/dp/B009CN8VRK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Canon PowerShot D20 12.1 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Waterproof-Stabilized-Wide-Angle/dp/B0075SUKIC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2AFVU9D9Q121T&coliid=I2XY2H3WP23TQ4

i know you dudes most likely know a **** ton more than i do on which one to get and why... so i need you.. is there anything better that these three? im trying to stay under 400.00 bucks.

What this video cam will be used for is excursions on 2 cruises, recording my nephews sports (football, baseball, lacrosse, and karate) and dumb **** my dogs do...

Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have a GoPro and took it on dives with me in Tobago. I was pretty impressed with the quality of both pictures and sound although you DO need to buy the special Dive housing for it (has a flat lens which deals with vision distortion underwater)

It is pretty compact and not 'camera-shaped' meaning it may feel a little weird used as a camera. The settings are a little fiddly to flick through plus you almost have to set it up before you start each new project of filming and then go from there.

Saying that, it worked for what I wanted. It is designed really for action sports - so has fittings available that let the user fix it to their mountain bike, or in my case a head strap (takes a while to work out the angle for filming!!).

I am not sure it is the most appropriate for you, in that you maybe want something to film other people taking part in action rather than being part of the action itself?
  • totalsham
    Options
    Which go pro did you have/used?

i plan on being in the action, like first person point of view with the camera mounted to my head or my chest.... but like that it has hand mounts that i can hold. which the contour doesnt have. I mean with the excursions, iwill be doing parasailing, scuba diving, snorkling, stingray city, zip lining.... cave tubing.

i just get nervous about the gopro with the insane amount of 1 star reviews on amazon that i linked in the OP. Did you have any issues?

wasnt aware of the different water lens and thank you for that heads up!
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wonder if perhaps you might get a more cost effective solution just going for a waterproof case?
    I rarely go below 18m myself but I met a guy on a (dive) course and he used a normal SLR in a waterproof case and he liked going very deep indeed
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    A decent underwater housing will set you back anything between 500-1500 pounds sterling although you can get better deals buying the camera with it

I have the original Hero and looking at the reviews it looks like you may be better off with an earlier model if that's what you go for. The hero3 appears to come withe a flat lens housing which would work when diving but my dive housing gives a fisheye effect when used on land so I don't know how it would work with the Hero3 simply because of the issues you get with refraction.

I know Intova do a similar camera to the GoPro but I have not seen anyone with one. I don't know about any of the other cameras you've looked at but from what you describe of what you need it for the GoPro would certainly fit the bill - it's light and small and easy to just set going.

I've not tried mine diving in UK waters yet so can't comment on quality there. One thing to not with diving is that it is fairly wide angle - so you'll get an overall shot rather than close-ups of creatures.
  • totalsham
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    GoPro Black with the waterproof case. Simple as it gets and very good video. Small...lightweight.

Just do it.
  • totalsham
    Options
    most likely buying the gopro hero 3 black from gopro... they have a 30 day money back guarantee... so, if it breaks during the cruise, im covered.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've used my GoPro for a wide variety of activities and have no complaints about it's performance. I have the original too, so I can only imagine it's gotten better with other models. I've used it SCUBA Diving, during mud runs, during race events on track (both car and motorcycle), and on my mountain bike. With the variety of mounting options it really is pretty amazing.