SAHM's...Need advice

Options
13»

Replies

• ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I think you should cut yourself some slack first and foremost! Looking after kids is a workout in itself, let's be honest. If you can get them in a buggy and go for a good walk great, if it's wet put on some wellies and jump in puddles or chase them around a park. I know there are alot of people on here saying I get up early and you should too, but my memory isn't that short, I was hanging by bedtime from not sitting down all day, that's your work out, right there!! Incorporate them and have fun together, once you've spent all day picking up a small child, who needs weights!!
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids, and I homeschool them. I have been running while I watch Jane the Virgin, which apparently my 12 yr old loves. So, he just sits in beside me while I run on the treadmill. The other thing, I have them reading for an hour while I work out. So, I'm doing youtube Zumba videos in the dining room while they read in the living room. I have been really good about counting calories and am down 10 pounds since Christmas. Planning is key, I plan out meals ahead of time, I have a time I work out, and an activity for the kids. They know that is my "job", I don't get to skip. My kids are older, which definitely helps. But, you have the advantage of little ones, and they can learn good food habits with you. When my boys were younger we were VERY poor, so it was a lot of mac & cheese and ramen noodles. So, now they only want to eat junk food, and I'm trying to incorporate better choices and they are fighting me.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    hsmith0930 wrote: »
    Why can't you work out while the kid(s) are awake? I don't do anything crazy, but I can do my walk away the fat video when my daughter is hanging out with me. Sometimes she does it with me, other times she plays with her toys or colors with crayons or whatever. But in reality, what you eat is going to help you lose weight more reliably than exercising.

To answer that - for me it never worked because there's no room to workout in the family room, the only place was the guest room (which is now a huge mess too, but whatever, the kids broke my dumbbells anyway :( ), which is out of the way, so there was just no way for me to workout when the kids were up.

But yeah I did wake up early during Summer break to get my workout done before my husband left for work, and often before everyone got up, so that's certainly doable if you want it enough.

Hate to sound rude but not enough room is not an excuse. You don't need much and it only takes a few minutes to push things aside. I am home with my 2 & 4 year old and every day they help me clean up the toys in the family room for me to work out. We push the table against the couch. It's been this way since they were 1 & 3. I give them a snack and set them up with an activity or they work out with me. I never work out when they are napping, it is not impossible if you make it part of routine. When I'm stretching they are running through my legs and laughing. Sometimes they jump around and work out with me. Sometimes I have to push pause to help them on the potty. But I get it done. I do insanity so it's 40-60 minutes a day. You don't need weights or equipment. It can be done.

Beyond that, if you can take 30 minutes to yourself when your hubby gets home to go for a walk/run that would be great. I know I go stir crazy being home with the kids all day so getting that break with my music and some peace is nice!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    So I apologize if this seems rude, but why is this posed as a SAHM issue. The fact is that anyone with kids knows it can be challenging to find time for a workout it really comes down to wether you make it a priority or not. I work, so I get up an hour and a half before my kids and husband do so I can make it to the gym and back. The it's getting everyone up and ready for their day It sucks but I have chosen to make it a priority to work out so I do.

I think it's because people have different expectations of moms who work, single moms, and stay at home moms with breadwinning partners.

Using myself as an example: As a working person, you wouldn't catch me dead doing 100% of the housework, cooking, and child-rearing. Not a chance. If I have a 40hr/ week job, my husband does 50% of the aforementioned work. Period. When I was a stay-at-home mom, I did 100% of the housework, cooking, and every diaper change I was physically capable of not having him do. It's an exchange, simple cost/benefit analysis. I do the kiddo and the house and food, he gets to spend more time at work, bring home more money, and have more energy to better his career, which is better for me in the long run as well. Right now, I work part part time. Two days a week. I do most things around the house, but my husband does help out more now than when I didn't work at all.

So I guess my point is, asking specifically SAHM's about time management, from the perspective of a woman who does absolutely everything at home with no assistance from a partner (my own experience) would garner different answers, or at least more situationally helpful ones than asking a working mother, who may be getting assistance with her kids from a partner, or a single mother, who does both and gets no assistance or must rely on paid sitters and the like. It's not true of every situation, just as every situation in which the term SAHM is used is neither an intended blow at the working mother nor an attempt to minimize her experience.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So I apologize if this seems rude, but why is this posed as a SAHM issue. The fact is that anyone with kids knows it can be challenging to find time for a workout it really comes down to wether you make it a priority or not. I work, so I get up an hour and a half before my kids and husband do so I can make it to the gym and back. The it's getting everyone up and ready for their day It sucks but I have chosen to make it a priority to work out so I do.

I think it's because people have different expectations of moms who work, single moms, and stay at home moms with breadwinning partners.

Using myself as an example: As a working person, you wouldn't catch me dead doing 100% of the housework, cooking, and child-rearing. Not a chance. If I have a 40hr/ week job, my husband does 50% of the aforementioned work. Period. When I was a stay-at-home mom, I did 100% of the housework, cooking, and every diaper change I was physically capable of not having him do. It's an exchange, simple cost/benefit analysis. I do the kiddo and the house and food, he gets to spend more time at work, bring home more money, and have more energy to better his career, which is better for me in the long run as well. Right now, I work part part time. Two days a week. I do most things around the house, but my husband does help out more now than when I didn't work at all.

So I guess my point is, asking specifically SAHM's about time management, from the perspective of a woman who does absolutely everything at home with no assistance from a partner (my own experience) would garner different answers, or at least more situationally helpful ones than asking a working mother, who may be getting assistance with her kids from a partner, or a single mother, who does both and gets no assistance or must rely on paid sitters and the like. It's not true of every situation, just as every situation in which the term SAHM is used is neither an intended blow at the working mother nor an attempt to minimize her experience.

I work full time - I teach so I am gone most days from 6:30 am to 5pm. My husband works nights so he gets home at about 6:15 am. I do just as much work at home now as I did when I was home with my daughter, only I have less hours to do it in. I also have the added task of spending time with her and helping her with homework because we are apart all day. When I was home and not working I actually had more time for me than I do now.

My point is, I think it is based on personal experience. But, whether you are a SAHM or a working mother there is still the struggle to find time and do what you need to do for you.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I recently saw a British documentary that pitted three couples against each other to determine what activity burns the most calories - an hour long hi intensity gym workout; a couple of hours of vigorous house cleaning; or sitting on your butt all day watching tv.

the conclusion was that the folks who did the housework used JUST AS MANY calories as the hi intensity workout folks did - their activity was just spent over a longer period of time. The tv watchers didnt burn as many, but it goes to show (as if we needed it) that just existing burns calories!!
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Before my kids were in school I worked out before or after my husband was at work, sometimes during the day I'd squeeze in yoga. When my twins were babies I had a sitter 10 hrs a week and that was helpful but I know not for everyone's budget.

I found focusing more on my diet and cooking was easier than working out consistently.

Also, the gym daycare didn't work for me either. Kids screamed or got sick. Every time. Not worth it.
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. I work (25-30 hours a week), and I still do all the housework and child rearing. When I'm not at work, I'm at home with the kids. I'm also struggling to find time to exercise.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »

I work full time - I teach so I am gone most days from 6:30 am to 5pm. My husband works nights so he gets home at about 6:15 am. I do just as much work at home now as I did when I was home with my daughter, only I have less hours to do it in. I also have the added task of spending time with her and helping her with homework because we are apart all day. When I was home and not working I actually had more time for me than I do now.

My point is, I think it is based on personal experience. But, whether you are a SAHM or a working mother there is still the struggle to find time and do what you need to do for you.

"It's not true of every situation"

Not necessarily. I work (25-30 hours a week), and I still do all the housework and child rearing. When I'm not at work, I'm at home with the kids. I'm also struggling to find time to exercise.

"It's not true of every situation"
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My youngest stopped napping completely at 18 months old. I joined a gym with daycare, b/c I needed a 1-2 hour break from my child (who was wide awake for 14 hours a day). 14 hours with a toddler is more than any sane person can handle.

Another choice is a jogging stroller. I used to take her out in that for "nature time."
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was my thinnest when my kids were small. I found I never ate because I was tending to them constantly. I would go to the gym when they went off for preschool or playtime etc. Also when they were babies I had a jogging stroller that was the best. Bottom line... it's the healthy eating. Food choices.