Trying to Bulk - Sodium Intake

Options
Quick question... Is taking more sodium than the daily limit good while bulking or bad? My daily limit is set at 2300 mg which I am always exceeding every day due to the amount of calories I am going for. A minimum of 3400. I understand the process with water retention and so forth so am trying to cut down with sodium because I am gaining a lot of water weight. Over the period of 1 month I have built about 20 pounds of weight and or water weight. My weight goes up and down constantly and is not accurate. Started off at 115 pounds and am now hovering around the 135 - 140 pound mark. I figured the best way to find out an accurate estimate of weight gain is to minimise the amount of sodium intake daily. Is this correct?...

Also any suggestions on foods with less sodium?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sodium level is irrelevant to bulking. Sodium should be a concern for people with a medical need to track it. If you are eating around the same amount of sodium daily you won't have water weight fluctuations, even if it's a high number. You would see water weight fluctuations with increased or decreased water intake or surrounding lifting days.
  • TomThompson255
    TomThompson255 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Even if I am doubling the amount of sodium wont affect my weight gains? And also I do intake a lot of water daily so I kinda put it down to that with the water fluctuations and so forth.

Excuse me if I sound very raw... Lol. New to this nutrition thing.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Athletes need more sodium than the general population. If you don't have a medical reason to restrict it there's no need to even count it. I'm guessing the huge gain in weight had to do with you being underweight initially. It should slow down and if it doesn't it's due to eating too much.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you're eating lots of carbs you'll also hold more water.. Salt is not the enemy, I don't even bother to track it
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are concerned about effects of sodium, eating foods high in magnesium and potassium will help balance things out. But you definitely need more sodium if you are working out hard.
  • TomThompson255
    TomThompson255 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense. I have noticed a huge increase in weight and very rapidly. I am very happy with the results so far so not complaining here. I am eating a lot and working my *kitten* off in the gym which is paying off. Just wanted a someone else's opinion

Thank you all for all your comments.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense. I have noticed a huge increase in weight and very rapidly. I am very happy with the results so far so not complaining here. I am eating a lot and working my *kitten* off in the gym which is paying off. Just wanted a someone else's opinion

Thank you all for all your comments.

Well there are a few areas that increase weight when you first start a bulk: increased glycogen from additional carbs, increased food in the gi track and additional sodium.

The big thing is to monitor progress over a 4 to 6 week timeframe to see if you are gaining too fast.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You must be eating a lot of processed foods to get that much sodium. Cut them out.