Yoga

Options
Hi friends!

So most of my weight loss has come from dietary changes and moving a little more, but I can -never- find an activity that I have really enjoyed (I am a horseback rider and snowboarder, neither of which I can do right now since I live in the south and I am in med school).

Anyway, I do love yoga! I finally found videos online that I really like (vs having to pay and go to class). I was wondering, for all of you who practice, when did you start seeing changes in your body (i.e. strength and flexibility)? The mediation part of it has been great, especially dealing with stress and school. However my arm strength and overall flexibility is mildly pitiful.

Anyway, does anyone have any yoga stories/journeys to share? :smile:

Thanks!

Replies

• emilyrtanner
    emilyrtanner Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have also always been challenged with exercise - I never enjoyed running or biking, so I never stuck to it. I do yoga from time to time, but not a ton. However I came here to mention that if you like yoga, you will probably also like barre and pilates. They rely on that mind-body connection but with a little more toning action! Depending on the class and instructor, you can really get your heart rate up there! I take Pure Barre classes and I am addicted. I mean this is coming from someone who seriously hates exercise. I absolutely LOVE going to barre. And even if it didn't help me get stronger or lose inches, I would still go, because it mentally makes me fill like a million bucks.

I would say with all three (including yoga) you should try and take a few classes with an instructor. The form is so important, its helpful to have someone there to make corrections or ask questions. Once you get it down, you could go back to doing it with videos (though I have to say, I never ever work as hard at home). Its a lot easier to quiet the mind in a clean and warm and candlelit studio!

It will cost money but a lot of regular gyms have studio classes included in membership so you might explore that (and then you would have access to the machines if you wanted). The YMCA often also offers yoga classes at deep discounts. Most studios have discounts for newcomers, or trial periods. I am not sure where you live but check out class pass, they offer access to numerous studios in your city for one price.

Last thing is, I cannot say I have gotten more flexible with barre, pilates, or yoga. Or even with weight loss. At least not significantly. My hamstrings remain tight as ever.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response! I was thinking about also trying Pilates and I have not heard of barre, what is it?

I should have mentioned that I've taken a lot of yoga classes before but wasn't able to stick with a consistent class due to $ or being a student or traveling.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have been attending yoga classes at a local yoga studio for 5 months now. I am slowly starting to see an improvement in my strength and flexibility. Regular practice has also almost eliminated a ongoing (2 year) case of tendinitis in my foot. My sleep has improved and I no longer feel achy in the mornings. Yoga is awesome!

A yoga studio is a bit pricey but it has defiantly been worth it. My doctor had been talking about foot surgery before I started taking these classes. The way I see it, paying for the yoga classes has saved me money by eliminating the need for costly medical procedures.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Only been doing it for 3-4 months. I am not depending on it for gaining strength or visible muscle definition, I am doing it as one of my complementary routines to weight lifting. It helps with flexibility, posture, and balance. I am doing in Iyengar yoga.

I think you can find classes/videos that lean more towards a strengthening routine, but it will still take a time to see changes.

If you are doing your workouts at home, try this nerd fitness routine on alternate days. It is simple and you can add to it or make it more difficult as you wish. It is a routine that I did for a couple if years before starting lifting. You will get good results if you work at it.

Cheers, h.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • FleaBailey
    FleaBailey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend yoga more highly! I'm 59 years old, been losing weight now for about 2 years (125 pounds so far) and after about 14 months of weight training/cardio (with a trainer) I started yoga when a studio opened up next to my community gym. After a couple of months I liked it so much I started working with an individual yoga instructor. When I first started I could only get up and down from the floor by grabbing onto piles of bolsters to pull myself up. Now, after 7.5 months I am no longer embarrassed to attend classes with women 1/2 my age and 1/2 my weight. I get up and down with no difficulties, and my goal is to be standing on my head when I'm 80 years old! (I'm not up to inverting yet, but I'll get there!)

I had/have the same problems with arm strength that you mention. My movement into chataranga (sp?) is from a modified plank--my arms are still not strong enough to lower myself from a full plank--but I'm getting there! I recommend you try doing a series of modified push ups (you know, with your knees on the ground) each session before moving into your asanas. My teacher had me do that for about a month, and it plus the weight training really gave me the confidence in my own strength that I needed to trust my arms to lower my upper torso to the ground before lowering my hips.

And unlike emilytanner, I HAVE seen changes in flexibility. The strength is enhanced by the weight training that I still do 2-3 days a week, but the flexibility is all from the yoga. My hamstrings HAVE gotten looser, my shoulders, while still tight, are slowly loosening up, and my balance poses are so very much better than they were.

It is expensive to pay for a personal instructor, but if you want to pursue yoga and do it regularly, I recommend you consider it. My instructor my be young enough to be my daughter, but she knows so much about what modifications can be done to protect joints and help me into poses that I never thought I could do. I have the highest respect for her. Often the changes she suggests are movements of less than an inch, but they do make a difference.

And if you can't afford a personal instructor yet (you're a med student--someday soon you'll be able to afford it!) or if you don't have the time (you're a med student--you probably don't!) I still recommend you try to find a weekly class in yin yoga or in beginning yoga (or even restorative yoga). The instructors are usually really motivated to help students find poses that work for them, and you can learn some additional asanas. Also, working in a room with mirrors on the walls is really helpful!
  • amburglar_is_wonderwoman
    Options
    Hello there!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of yoga you do. I like to do a lot of hand stand work and poses that focus on the core. When I regularly practiced I noticed changes after a month or so. If you just do yin yoga and just relax in the poses probably won't see much of a strength change.