How to get enough proteins without maxing out calories and carbs on a vegan diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    opycha wrote: »
    Why worry about protein? You only need max of 40g per day to meet your body's expectations. You WANT to get all the carbs in you can though.

where do you get you only need 40g max? some sites say 60+ grams but its recommended at the least 0.6g per lb of body weight up to 1g per lb. if someone is lifting weights 40 grams would not be enough. and telling someone to get all the carbs in? what are your sources for this? protein is important to retain lean muscle mass and I dont think most people would do that with only 40g of protein a day. especially extremely active people.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds pack an enormous punch in the protein game! Id load up on those!

One ounce of chia seeds have about 5 grams of protein and 138 calories. While they can certainly help an individual meet their protein needs, I'm skeptical that this can be counted as an "enormous punch." An individual "loading up" on chia seeds may crowd out other foods they need, including better sources of protein.

Ya, I look at chia seeds as a source of fiber rather than protein. I only eat 1/8 ounce at a time. One ounce would be an awful lot for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    This has always been my problem. I've been a vegan for several years and have no intentions on changing this aspect of my diet. However, when I watch my calories and carbs I never get enough proteins, according to myfitnesspal. Tofu, quinoa, beans, all seem to bring high quality proteins at the stake of my waist. Any ideas?

Try changing your macros to reflect 60% carbs, 20% fat, and 20% protein and see how that goes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Chia seeds pack an enormous punch in the protein game! Id load up on those!

One ounce of chia seeds have about 5 grams of protein and 138 calories. While they can certainly help an individual meet their protein needs, I'm skeptical that this can be counted as an "enormous punch." An individual "loading up" on chia seeds may crowd out other foods they need, including better sources of protein.

Ya, I look at chia seeds as a source of fiber rather than protein. I only eat 1/8 ounce at a time. One ounce would be an awful lot for me.

I put them in smoothies and overnight oats regularly, but I use about the same amount that you do. They are also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids.