Would really appreciate your inputs :)

Options
Moudd
Moudd Posts: 6 Member
131 lbs. 5 foot 9 and ~8% bf. I was a skinny fat amd lost 20 pound last year.
Tryna bulk up as clean as possible. So i dont have to do a mjor cut and risk getting BED again (2 months binge free!)
Atm lifting 2 days then cardio day (usually swim) then 2 days lifting and a day totally off. Trying to lift heavy and fail at 8 reps.
Im getting in 2500 cal a day. 50 carb, 30 protein and 20 fat.
Activity level of a college student with work (barista)~ twice a week.
Any advice would ne greatly appreciated?

Replies

• davidsnewsham
    davidsnewsham Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If thats 30 grams of protein, that is not enough for hypertrophy. You want approx 1.5 to 2 grams per kilo of bodyweight. Based on your bw you want about 90 to 120 grams of protein. Looking at your program you have to remember that rest is an important aspect of building muscle. If your lifting for 2 days then doing a swim for cardio (which uses a lot of muscle groups) you may not be resting the muscles you worked the previous 2 days enough.... just a thought. Try putting your cardio somewhere else (start or finish of the week). These are only a couple of pointers to consider.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Working you macros on % is a little out dated. There are many recommending that protein should be 1g / 1lb of bodyweight, fat should be 0.4g / 1lb of bodyweight, with carbs filling up the remainder of your calorie goal.

At 131lb and a calorie goal of 2500, your macros would look like this.

protein 131g
    fat 52.4g
    carbs 376.1g

For lean gains you should see a 2lb gain in bodyweight per month. If you add more than that, reduce your carbs, if you don't gain weight, raise your carbs.

• Moudd
    Options
    If thats 30 grams of protein, that is not enough for hypertrophy. You want approx 1.5 to 2 grams per kilo of bodyweight. Based on your bw you want about 90 to 120 grams of protein. Looking at your program you have to remember that rest is an important aspect of building muscle. If your lifting for 2 days then doing a swim for cardio (which uses a lot of muscle groups) you may not be resting the muscles you worked the previous 2 days enough.... just a thought. Try putting your cardio somewhere else (start or finish of the week). These are only a couple of pointers to consider.

Oh im sorry, i meant 30% of calories are from proteins.
    How would you incorporate cardio and balance rest? I just want to make sure that i stay healthy while bulking.
  • Moudd
    Options
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I will be editing my macros accordingly. But what do you think of the total calories im consuming? Is it a good amount?
    Oh also, is it true that i should ignore the first two week spike in weight gain as it is mostly water and glycogen?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I will be editing my macros accordingly. But what do you think of the total calories im consuming? Is it a good amount?
    Oh also, is it true that i should ignore the first two week spike in weight gain as it is mostly water and glycogen?

I think your calories count is a good place to start, I'm 130lb 5'6" and need 2600 for a lean bulk.

You'll just have to try it for a couple of weeks and adjust like you say.

Yes ignore any initial spikes or troughs, I think it's best to weigh yourself regular, and take a weekly average.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut the carbs - increase the fat. :)