How bad are flour tortillas?

Options
I eat almost every morning 2 scrambled eggs wrapped with a flour tortilla. Kind of eggs to-go idea. Im wondering how bad tortillas are for diets? Would I be better off taking the time to make oatmeal?
-Erin

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I think they are yummy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Well, you can always get lower calorie or higher fiber tortillas. But if your current brand fits into your calorie goals and doesn't make you sleepy, like flour products do to me, I don't see any reason to change.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Not bad. Delicious.

Are you tracking calories? Are you counting the calories from the tortillas? Are you still under your calorie goal?

If yes to all of the above, I cannot see how there could be a problem.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If they fit in your calories they are not bad.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie goals then it is fine for weight loss to eat a tortilla. You could add some vegetables to your scrambled egg wrap.
    I'm not sure why you think oatmeal would be better unless you want a little more fiber.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat tortillas and they fit in your calories then there is nothing wrong with that. The only thing that I think is wrong with your breakfast buritto is that it needs potatoes and hot sauce. Lol. Really though, if that's what you like then go for it. It is definitely more portable than oatmeal.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    But are they homemade or restaurant flour tortillas? :p

Seriously, you'll be fine.
  • irisheyes637
    irisheyes637 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I honestly fell for one of those articles saying these are the newest facts about nutrient. DON'T eat this! MUST eat that. It didn't sound right, so that's why I posted. They definetly fit into my calorie count and I am always way below on my carb counts. But the article did make me wonder that maybe I was doing something wrong.
    Thanks for all the replies.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Flour tortillas are good. Homemade flour tortillas are even better.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    ^^this!! Just count the calories and enjoy.
  • irisheyes637
    Options

I just might have to try making myself some homemade tortillas. :-)
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Two words:
    Labor intensive
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I honestly fell for one of those articles saying these are the newest facts about nutrient. DON'T eat this! MUST eat that. It didn't sound right, so that's why I posted. They definetly fit into my calorie count and I am always way below on my carb counts. But the article did make me wonder that maybe I was doing something wrong.

You're fine. The vast majority of those types articles are written from a complete misunderstanding of nutrition.
  • irisheyes637
    Options
    Carlos_421
    Some of the best things are labor intensive. We'd miss a lot of good things if we avoided them simply bc they are labor intensive. ;-)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Good for you to be skeptical of the article!

Here are some more diet myths:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10174846/mainstream-diet-myths-debunked
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Switch to whole wheat tortillas :) Imo they taste the same and are healthier
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Switch to whole wheat tortillas :) Imo they taste the same and are healthier
    Healthier in what way? Calories are about the same and one may get more fiber, but other than that, it's not a great step up.

Mission Brand flour tortilla- 140 calories, 24g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 4g protein
    wheat tortilla- 130 calories, 25g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugar, 4 protein

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Two words:
    Labor intensive

Hmmm. Mine are the opposite. Mix flour, milk, baking powder, butter, and salt into an ear lobe soft dough (a couple minutes), rest 15 minutes under damp cloth, divide into eight and roll into balls, rest another 15 minutes under damp cloth, roll out, stretch, 35 seconds per side on a scorching hot comal on the stove.

But they do run 145 calories per tortilla. (:
  • Spiral1
    Spiral1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out ole xtreme wellness high fiber tortillas, they are only 50 calories with 11g fiber. I use them everyday with 2 eggs, spinach and some cheese for breakfast.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I love the ones made with spinach or tomatoes.