Motivation to eat

Options
I don't know many people with this problem, but I have depression (which I'm being treated for) and I frequently completely and utterly lose the motivation to eat anything. I'll go through periods where I can eat and eat well, and then I'll go through periods where I just cannot eat. The thought of food will make me feel ill. I have told my therapist, but on top of that, does anyone have advice for when they get in funks like this?

I've tried eating foods that I like a lot, but the problem is when I'm that depressed I can't even think of things I like. I guess what I'm asking is, how do you force yourself to eat despite the depression? I keep getting sick because I'm not feeding myself and not eating only makes my depression worse.

Also, I'm alright right now, I broke 1800 calories today in the first time in 6 months!!!! Willingly!! I'm very proud of myself! It's just better to ask now while I feel alright than wait until I don't.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that you prepare some written meal plans. You can follow them when you can't remember what to eat. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • toofuelforcool
    toofuelforcool Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you prepare some written meal plans. You can follow them when you can't remember what to eat. Hope you are feeling better soon.

That's a good idea. Thank you for your suggestion and kind words! I'm doing much better than I was a year ago, but sometimes depression gets the better of me. But, hey! I'll get there! :)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    liquid calories?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I get times where I struggle to eat as well. I then tend to drink my calories. A milkshake or a glass of ginger wine etc.
    Make use of your good days be getting in as many calories as you can. Good luck x