Sore..how to stay consistent w/daily back-2-back workouts

marrufoj
marrufoj Posts: 23 Member
So I know, understand and accept I am out of shape. I am attempting to be consistent with my daily workout, even if I can only squeeze in 30minutes. However, my legs are killing me with being entirely sore!!! It's so bad, I can hardly squat lol Any suggestions on how to pull through until I acquire tolerance...

Replies

• smh1963
    smh1963 Posts: 34 Member
    why not try swimming , its really gentle on the body , yet a great workout at the same time. Then once you get you fitness level up add in other exercise.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Why not a light day on a stationary bike? Or why not a purely upperbody day?

Also, do not underestimate the value of a rest day. If your body is telling you it's in pain, listen.
  • marrufoj
    smh1963 wrote: »
    why not try swimming , its really gentle on the body , yet a great workout at the same time. Then once you get you fitness level up add in other exercise.

Hi smh!!!
    Thanks for responding & I appreciate the friend add =) Great suggestion I'll definitely have to try the swimming!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    What does your daily workout consist of?
  • Silpeanut
    Silpeanut Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2016
    I know what u mean, I used to run and do elliptical but it was hard on my knees and leg muscles. I do low impact aerobics now and find I still get a great cardio without over exerting my body. Adding strength training is a great way to burn without exerting your leg muscles.i can exercise 6-7 days a week . Good luck and stay strong!
  • marrufoj
    x311Tifa wrote: »
    Why not a light day on a stationary bike? Or why not a purely upperbody day?

Also, do not underestimate the value of a rest day. If your body is telling you it's in pain, listen.

Hi x311!!
    I certainly appreciate your response.. You're absolutely right about listening to my body, I couldn't agree more. However, the guilt of skipping a day is like a brain worm, stay as a reminder that I didn't workout heavy in mind..lol
    Excellent suggestion in changing up the type/body form of workout!! I thank you - great feedback =)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Take it in small steps. It's ok.
  • marrufoj
    What does your daily workout consist of?

Hi Calli!!
    I'm only three days in but I went from zero exercise to cardio - first day was 20mins of basic treadmill during lunch - felt good as a startup and was ready to return for day two. Day two, I did 6minutes elliptical (yes only 6 mins - I couldn't push more on there ;c) then switched over to 30 mins on a 7 inclined / 3.3 speed on treadmill.
    My legs are sore from top to bottom - how sad lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    get a foam roller and watch videos on how to do it. its great to work out the soreness and has other benefits too. you wont lose weight but it has helped me a lot. also make sure you warm up before exercise and cool down/stretch afterwards

• marrufoj
    Silpeanut wrote: »
    I know what u mean, I used to run and do elliptical but it was hard on my knees and leg muscles. I do low impact aerobics now and find I still get a great cardio without over exerting my body. Adding strength training is a great way to burn without exerting your leg muscles.i can exercise 6-7 days a week . Good luck and stay strong!

Hi Silp!!
    Thank you so much for responding and I truly appreciate the motivation!! Very good suggestion and I'm looking forward to keeping strong =)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    rest days are when your body not only recovers, but actually builds strength
  • marrufoj
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Take it in small steps. It's ok.

Hi Lorr!!
    Thank you for responding =)
    I appreciate your motivation!! Thank you...
  • marrufoj
    get a foam roller and watch videos on how to do it. its great to work out the soreness and has other benefits too. you wont lose weight but it has helped me a lot. also make sure you warm up before exercise and cool down/stretch afterwards

Hi Charlie!!
    Thanks for responding!! Foam roller..I definitely have to look into that. Thank you for the suggestion =)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    edited January 2016
    Ok, so you are new to this and these are just "beginners pains". lol The 7 incline in probably what is causing the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) - that incline is really hitting the glutes, quads and hamstrings, esp if you are new to this.

I walk a couple of miles several times a week and never really had soreness issues. Of course, I started slow and gradually increased distance and speed. And when I was on the treadmill, I gradually increased the incline over time.

I would suggest to continue the daily walking workouts, maybe take 1 or 2 "rest days" as you see fit, but gradually increase the intensity (and incline) to eliminate the soreness.

ETA: A rest day can also mean a lighter workout day, so 30 min walk at 2.5mph instead of 3.3mph. Really, it just gives your body some down time. I wouldn't want to go to work 7 days a week; I don't think my body likes to "work out" 7 days a week either.

A rest day doesn't necessarily mean "couch potato"
  • marrufoj
    rest days are when your body not only recovers, but actually builds strength

Hi Capt!!
    Thank you for responding!! I truly appreciate your feedback.. Great motivational advice!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    marrufoj wrote: »

Hi Charlie!!
    Thanks for responding!! Foam roller..I definitely have to look into that. Thank you for the suggestion =)

I have a foam roller that comes with a dvd ....I got mine at Target ...I absolutely love it ...no more soreness :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Also, alternate cardio days with weight training days, or alternate weight training days for different parts of the body. Joyce Vedral's book on beginning weight training has you break up your work outs into upper body 1 day and lower body the next day, so that you never get too sore, and you give your muscles days to rest and build up. :)
  • marrufoj
    Ok, so you are new to this and these are just "beginners pains". lol The 7 incline in probably what is causing the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) - that incline is really hitting the glutes, quads and hamstrings, esp if you are new to this.

I walk a couple of miles several times a week and never really had soreness issues. Of course, I started slow and gradually increased distance and speed. And when I was on the treadmill, I gradually increased the incline over time.

I would suggest to continue the daily walking workouts, maybe take 1 or 2 "rest days" as you see fit, but gradually increase the intensity (and incline) to eliminate the soreness.

ETA: A rest day can also mean a lighter workout day, so 30 min walk at 2.5mph instead of 3.3mph. Really, it just gives your body some down time. I wouldn't want to go to work 7 days a week; I don't think my body likes to "work out" 7 days a week either....

Thank you Calli!! You're absolutely right and I will most definitely take your suggestion to action. Very much appreciated guidance from you =)
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Rest is just as important as exercise. Resting allows your body to heal from your workouts. If you have recently started this workout routine you may need to have a rest day every few days until your body can handle it. When I first started running I couldn't run for more than 2 minutes without feeling like my heart was going to explode. I started doing HIT runs. 1 minute running (as fast as I can go) and 1 minute walking (resting) for as long as I could do it for. After a period of time my ability to run expanded. Now if I really wanted to I can run for 1 hour and 30 minutes without needing to stop. I don't do that if I don't need to, but I did it.
  • marrufoj
    marrufoj wrote: »

Hi Charlie!!

I have a foam roller that comes with a dvd ....I got mine at Target ...I absolutely love it ...no more soreness :)

Hi MsSmartypants!!
    Thanks for responding!! I'll make it a point to visit Target very soon..