ACV and weight loss...?

Options
2»

Replies

• myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Here's the thing about minor medical conditions that do not require surgical intervention: Patients tend to get better with time.

So no matter what you do, you will tend to get better with time. Eat a fun size Snickers bar every day, and you will get better with time. Drink a cup of hot lemon water every morning, and you will tend to get better with time. The common factor? The time - not the lemon or the candy bar or the vinegar.

And no, vinegar doesn't help you lose weight either.

Not quite the case with me. I never had any gallbladder trouble until about 4 months ago. Started with every 1-2 weeks I would get a small pain in my stomach if I ate something really greasy. Within 3 months after it began I was having gallbladder attacks and every single time I ate I had a stabbing pain no matter what I ate. During an attack my family made me drink 1/4 cup of it, I'm not saying it stopped the pain because attacks don't last very long but since I've been drinking it, about a week, I haven't had any gallbladder pain whatsoever. So either my gallbladder just decided to not have sludge and stones in it/bother me, or the ACV may have helped.

Either way I don't care, if the pain comes back oh well, whatever, but if adding some ACV to my juice every morning has helped and it can in no way kill me then I really don't see why not.
  • myssjaxson
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    jodidari wrote: »
    I actually know someone who says it helped them lose weight,about a pound a week without a change in diet according to her. I've read up on it a few months ago and the document said it supresses the diet and also assists in the breakdown on fat. It says start by drinking a cup of water with 1tbsp of acv then gradually increase to three cups of water a day (one with each meal) with 1/2tbsp. The study also pointed on ACV may detox the body therefore increasing metabolic rate. I'll see if i can find the link but it sounds like helps with weight loss

I know someone whose dog can write in english

Well not write so much as type

He typed up an entire study once

Did ACV sleep with your ex or something? You do know, it can't kill you, and there has been evidence of it helping certain things and studies show it can be beneficial, so, what's wrong with it? Obviously you're sarcasm is making fun of anybody who refers to it as possibly helpful. I'm curious as to why.
  • myssjaxson
    Options
    Im definitely not expecting to lose weight from vinegar lol. I just like to have discussions on (I suppose meaningless) stuff like that.

Well, it has helped and I've gone off of my acid pill and stomach pain pill without any bad effects and not had any gallbladder pain so I'll be adding it to my juice every morning as usual. If the pain comes back I mean whatever Lol, not saying its some magical unicorn cure all, just saying it has helped me, for now.
  • myssjaxson
    Options
    akoivisto wrote: »
    If ACV deglazes a hot pan...

Logic says...

ACV deglazes your internal bits too...

I use it for cooking, and enjoy the benefits it provides in that field; I'll admit to drinking it to give my kids the 'OMERGAWD DAD' effect.... but I do that with Dog Food/Treats too, maybe Dog Biscuits could be the next fad?

Other than that? It is rather low on my 'Pour a High Baller and drink with a fine cigar list'.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/23-research-backed-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar.html
    Have a read if you'd like facts.

So, why do you think people shouldn't drink it exactly? Just curious. If it helps, its natural, and not harmful.... I am not seeing the downside. It has helped me is all I'm saying. Could be my body randomly changing in a coincidence with the exact time I started drinking it, totally possible, but for now I kinda like the taste of it mixed with grape juice that I have in the morning so I'll be continuing to deglaze my internal organs :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    myssjaxson wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    jodidari wrote: »
    I actually know someone who says it helped them lose weight,about a pound a week without a change in diet according to her. I've read up on it a few months ago and the document said it supresses the diet and also assists in the breakdown on fat. It says start by drinking a cup of water with 1tbsp of acv then gradually increase to three cups of water a day (one with each meal) with 1/2tbsp. The study also pointed on ACV may detox the body therefore increasing metabolic rate. I'll see if i can find the link but it sounds like helps with weight loss

I know someone whose dog can write in english

Well not write so much as type

He typed up an entire study once

Did ACV sleep with your ex or something? You do know, it can't kill you, and there has been evidence of it helping certain things and studies show it can be beneficial, so, what's wrong with it? Obviously you're sarcasm is making fun of anybody who refers to it as possibly helpful. I'm curious as to why.

"The study also pointed on ACV may detox the body therefore increasing metabolic rate."

Detox is woo
    Adjusting metabolic rate by consuming a supplement is definitely derp

As I said up thread if it helps you stick go for it ...but do not attribute any magical properties to it nor throw around the word "study" as though it's proof of something

People often post "information" and "facts" they've absorbed from the diet and fitness industry, popular culture and/or family and friends in MFP discussions but the issue is misinformation tends to keep most people fat particularly when centred around a supplement

So yes I was pointing out the fallacy ...excuse me for doing so in a lighthearted way :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    akoivisto wrote: »
    If ACV deglazes a hot pan...

Logic says...

ACV deglazes your internal bits too...

I use it for cooking, and enjoy the benefits it provides in that field; I'll admit to drinking it to give my kids the 'OMERGAWD DAD' effect.... but I do that with Dog Food/Treats too, maybe Dog Biscuits could be the next fad?

Other than that? It is rather low on my 'Pour a High Baller and drink with a fine cigar list'.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/23-research-backed-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar.html
    Have a read if you'd like facts.

So, why do you think people shouldn't drink it exactly? Just curious. If it helps, its natural, and not harmful.... I am not seeing the downside. It has helped me is all I'm saying. Could be my body randomly changing in a coincidence with the exact time I started drinking it, totally possible, but for now I kinda like the taste of it mixed with grape juice that I have in the morning so I'll be continuing to deglaze my internal organs :)

So long as the dilution is appropriate and you are feeling an emotional benefit then yes keep drinking it

It has not clinically been shown to be of any use in humans for weight loss, In fact claims are vague

http://download.bioon.com.cn/view/upload/201303/20113712_8178.pdf
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...They say that apparently it "has enzymes that help speed your metabolism" and in return burns fat. What do you think? I'm just curious.

Its helped my colon, gallbladder and even cleared up my skin in the week I've been drinking it so I'll continue to use it purely for those benefits but I was wondering what my MFP friends thought about the weight loss claims.

The weight loss claims are complete BS. Go to PubMed or Google Scholar and try to find a scientific explanation of how apple cider vinegar can speed up your metabolism or burn fat. Hint: there aren't any. Because it's woo.

I do find it to be tasty on fish & chips when I don't happen to have any malt vinegar handy, though.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    There's no evidence that ACV will cause those who drink it to lose weight.

Well, if its just me being mental then I'm totally okay with it since I've been able to stop taking my antacid and my stomach relaxer (pain) pills for the first time and not need them. It may not be the ACV, who knows, but whatever is happening I'm absolutely fine with it. :)

I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect so if you feel it helps you in other areas, and it's not contraindicated with any of your prescription meds, I say go for it. It sounds like you acknowledge it doesn't have any weight-loss abilities and you have your head screwed on tight, so have at it!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

Not quite the case with me. I never had any gallbladder trouble until about 4 months ago. Started with every 1-2 weeks I would get a small pain in my stomach if I ate something really greasy. Within 3 months after it began I was having gallbladder attacks and every single time I ate I had a stabbing pain no matter what I ate. During an attack my family made me drink 1/4 cup of it, I'm not saying it stopped the pain because attacks don't last very long but since I've been drinking it, about a week, I haven't had any gallbladder pain whatsoever. So either my gallbladder just decided to not have sludge and stones in it/bother me, or the ACV may have helped.

Or it could be that you haven't had anything with too much fat/grease that you've had a gall bladder attack.

I had this issue too when I first lost some weight. This intermittent pain went on again/off again over about a year. Then I had an attack and had to have it out.

So regardless of the vinegar, I see you having to have your gall bladder out in a few years.

If you want to drink it, great, have at it. But yuck.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It does nothing for weight loss. A calorie deficit causes weight loss.

But my doctor told me to use two tsp per day for a week for a uti infection. I was also on antibiotics. I have no idea if it helped or not.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Acv I believe is an alkaline food which helps the body become alkaline. You may have too much acidity in the body throwing it out of whack. I did use access waters/ lemon waters for weight loss / rebalancing alkaline/ acidity.

I found it did help. I'd look into whatever you can to heal your gallbladder bc having it out can cause other problems.

Also I think there is a book called acv miracle and it tells you all the health benefits of acv. You may be interested in something called oil pulling as well.

Also I believe borage or primrose oil and linseed oil help aid weightloss. And a book worth looking at is the acid/alkaline diet this is more for rebalancing the system less for weight loss.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Acv I believe is an alkaline food which helps the body become alkaline. You may have too much acidity in the body throwing it out of whack. I did use access waters/ lemon waters for weight loss / rebalancing alkaline/ acidity.

I found it did help. I'd look into whatever you can to heal your gallbladder bc having it out can cause other problems.

Also I think there is a book called acv miracle and it tells you all the health benefits of acv. You may be interested in something called oil pulling as well.

Also I believe borage or primrose oil and linseed oil help aid weightloss. And a book worth looking at is the acid/alkaline diet this is more for rebalancing the system less for weight loss.

Vinegar is an acid. And the acid/alkaline diet is nothing but woo (as is oil-pulling).

The unsubstantiated theory is based on lab studies that suggest cancer cells thrive in an acidic (low pH) environment, but cannot survive in alkaline (high pH) surroundings. While these findings are accurate, they apply only to cells in an isolated lab setting. Altering the cell environment of the human body to create a less-acidic, less-cancer-friendly environment is virtually impossible.

While proponents of this myth argue that avoiding certain foods and eating others can change the body’s pH level, these claims stand in stark contrast to everything we know about the chemistry of the human body. Acid-base balance is tightly regulated by several mechanisms, among them kidney and respiratory functions. Even slight changes to your body’s pH are life-threatening events. Patients with kidney disease and pulmonary dysfunction, for example, often rely on dialysis machines and mechanical ventilators (respectively) to avoid even small disruption of acid-base balance.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=13441
  • myssjaxson
    Options
    Lol I love this forum. Hilarious. How everyone is always so adamant that if I ask a question about something that means I absolutely think its totally true even if I plainly say I don't think it is. I said I didn't think the claims were viable since nobody has ever claimed it actually helped with weight loss (I don't know how someone thinks vinegar could change the metabolism) but a lot have claimed it has helped with some other things. I'm NOT saying it is true. I'm saying that FOR ME it has helped FOR RIGHT NOW.

Thanks for the.... Ehm.. "advice" LOL. Always have a good laugh with posts.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Cleared up my uti infections completely! I was becoming resistant to antibiotics because I had them so often. I don't care if that is placebo or not but monthly infections for two years, peeing blood, hospital stays, etc to nothing in one night of treating myself was amazing! I use it regularly on salad,
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Again, stupid app won't let me post everything I have typed. I have screen shots of the whole post too. Can't figure out why it only posts half. Sorry for the off topic. Any fixes in the future as far as anyone knows?
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to thoroughly rinse your mouth afterwards because ACV is acidic and known to damage tooth enamel.