Shin pain

Options
hi all
I've started the C25k in December and was doing well. On Wednesday I did week 5 run 3 the 20 min continuous run. About 3 hours after the run i got bad shin pain. I've rested and iced the shin but 4 days later it's no better. Anyone hot any words of wisdom please.

Replies

• minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Might be shin splints, I suffered from them some years ago when I increased my running. Not fun at all. What I had to do is ice & elevate, take anti-inflammatories, stop any running or other exercise similar, (went to bicycle for exercise), and did a lot of stretching of legs, esp calves, Achilles, ankles & shins. It eventually got better, & I took my time increasing jogging/ running. You might want to get checked by doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also think shin splints I had them a couple years ago doing that same plan. Stretching often and not running until they were gone is what I did. Mostly flexing and pointing toes through out the day. Biking is a great idea until your shins are better, don't let it stop you from moving to your goals.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds like it could be shin splints. Shin splints are usually caused by 1 of 4 things;
    1. Terrible too's - that is to say too much distance, too soon, or too fast.
    2. Worn or improper footwear - We all have different feet and walk/run our own way. Some pronate, some supinate and some are neutral. It is important to get fitted properly with the right shoes for your feet and gait. Similarly, it is important to replace shoes when they can no longer properly support our feet and arches. General rule of thumb is 500 km or 300 miles of running.
    3. Improper mechanics - have you considered having a gait analysis with a qualified physiotherapist or podiatrist? A proper gait analysis can cost a bit of money but can help you develop a proper running form. I've always found them well worth the money
    4. Running on uneven surfaces.

Treatment
    1. I'll go against the grain with regards to icing. Swelling and inflammation is a natural part of healing. Icing has been shown to suppress the healing process and can delay the recovery process.
    2. Deep tissue massage is very helpful as it can break up any scar tissue and improve blood flow to the area. Improved blood flow will help healing.
    3. Reduce your training to a more comfortable level.
    4. See a physiotherapist for some recommended exercises. Shin splints are often the result of a muscle imbalance... Correct the imbalance and the shin splints go away. (examples include heel walking with your toes balled up, calf raises, using your toes to pick up and drop marbles in a bucket as a good start, You may want to include using a Theraband to build the complimentary muscles in your calves.

Anyways my 2 cents... I'd like to submit that I was once a beginning runner, have run 30 Halves, 5 Fulls and an Ultra. I also am occasionally asked to coach Marathon and Half Marathon Clinics by the Running Room here in Canada.

I hope what I have suggested makes sense and is useful to you. Feel free to connect the f you have questions.

Cheers