Anything i should know?

Options
I've recently started with my weight loss journey again and so far ive lost 2lbs in 2 weeks, i dont know why im losing weight so slow, i seem to be eating right, i go to the gym 5 days a week and go swimming 3 times. Is there anything i can do to speed the process up? Is there anything i should be doing?

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    2lb in 2 weeks is awesome! The only thing you need to change is your expectation.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    2lb in 2 weeks is awesome! The only thing you need to change is your expectation.

When i started at the gym they said i should be losing 2lb a week is that not a reasonable expectation?
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    you CAN lose 2 lbs a week. it is just takes a lot of dedication and strenuous deficit to reach that goal. if you want it, go for it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

When i started at the gym they said i should be losing 2lb a week is that not a reasonable expectation?

Nope that's bro science

A decent rule of thumb is 1% bodyweight as a maximum weekly guideline but that is average weight loss across 6-8 weeks

If your exercise programme, which sounds a little unsustainable to me, is new then you can expect that there will be increase in water weight due to change up in exercise

Your overall weight loss over time will be determined by the accuracy if your food logging and attention to,weekly defecit

But all weight loss is a mixture of water, fat and LBM and water weight it an independent thing which can be affected by ovulation, menstruation, exercise changes, carb and sodium intake and gives you a weight range of around 5lbs

TL:DR good loss, be patient
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As above, there are just so many factors that affect your weight loss that +/- 2 pounds in even a few days is normal for most people. Also as a general rule of thumb, it would depend how much you have to lose, most people find the last 10 pounds or so much harder/longer to lose than the weight they've lost up to then. I would persevere for a longer period and then analyse, personally I've went the last few months without shifting more than a few pounds (despite logging religiously for almost a year) because I'm now quite close to maintenance but when the weight does finally come off it stays off. This might be a silly point, but always weigh yourself at the same time in the same clothes (or without).
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    There are stickies at the top of the board with info, too. you may have read some already, but it took me awhile to notice them so I thought i would mention it. 2 lbs is a great start.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    you CAN lose 2 lbs a week. it is just takes a lot of dedication and strenuous deficit to reach that goal. if you want it, go for it.

Depending of course on if you're looking to lose 20 lbs or 100 lbs. You won't want and likely can't drop 2 lbs a week if you've got a smaller amount to lose.

Not sure I agree with the bolded, it really depends on how much you're looking to drop. You want to do this in a healthy manner so it stays off as well. ;)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is the maximum you should be losing. 1 pound a week is great and much more sustainable.
    Also, don't beat yourself up over what the scale says. As you work out and gain muscle, you'll put on muscle weight, you'll retain water in muscles that are healing from a work-out, and you'll have intestinal changes as your diet changes. Take your measurements and include those in your weight-loss overview instead of just relying on the scale.

Also, be patient! It can take three weeks to see real results, and remember that you're on a lifetime journey to better health right now. You didn't learn to walk in a day, or to talk in a day, did you? :) Be kind to yourself, stick to your healthy calorie intake and exercise plan and see where it takes you.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That's not slow. 2 lbs a week is only reasonable if you are extremely overweight.
  • Natalierae886
    Options
    Becca_250 wrote: »
    As above, there are just so many factors that affect your weight loss that +/- 2 pounds in even a few days is normal for most people. Also as a general rule of thumb, it would depend how much you have to lose, most people find the last 10 pounds or so much harder/longer to lose than the weight they've lost up to then. I would persevere for a longer period and then analyse, personally I've went the last few months without shifting more than a few pounds (despite logging religiously for almost a year) because I'm now quite close to maintenance but when the weight does finally come off it stays off. This might be a silly point, but always weigh yourself at the same time in the same clothes (or without).

Thank you, im going to keep trying at this and doing gym and hopefully it will come off. It should be easier as i have over 2 stone to lose.
  • Natalierae886
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    There are stickies at the top of the board with info, too. you may have read some already, but it took me awhile to notice them so I thought i would mention it. 2 lbs is a great start.

Thank you, i saw one that really helped about my weight going up and down on different days, that was worrying me but put my mind at ease.
  • Natalierae886
    Options

Not sure I agree with the bolded, it really depends on how much you're looking to drop. You want to do this in a healthy manner so it stays off as well. ;)
    [/quote]

Im looking to lose over 2 stone, would you say 2lb a week is possible? Definitley want it to stay off :)
  • Natalierae886
    Options
    Thank you everybody :)
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Hi Natalie. There are a lot of good responses here from others, most are probably based on their own experience I would imagine. Each person has slightly (or sometimes radically) different results with the same plan. There are many different factors that can affect weight loss, including age, lean body mass (LBM, the amount of muscle in your body compared to fat), activity level outside of the gym, effort expended at the gym, and of course, exactly what you put into your body. Keeping an exact record of what you eat can help you look back and determine why you may have had less than optimal results, so be honest with yourself. Nobody is going to "scold" or ridicule you for anything. This is about you, your weight loss, your fitness results. It's your journey. I wish you all the best!