How to gain weight and stay healthy

Options
I have been trying weight gain diets for years with not a lot of progress. Does anyone have any tips on gaining weight but staying healthy. What exercises do you do to help with progress?

Any comments and tips would be fabulous!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Slightl calorie deficit with micro rich foods. Don't be afraid to treat yourself sometimes though. Exercise depends on your goals. If bulking I'm usually focusing more on weight lifting whether it be a strength or hypertrophy program and focusing less on cardio in terms of burning calories, and more of keeping HIIT in a couple times a week for the cardiovascular benefit!(: message or ask for any other questions regarding diet or programs or any question you have and I'll try and help!(:
  • disneyboo
    disneyboo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you that is really helpful. I will see how I get on.

Would you recommend any type of protein shakes or anything to help alongside exercise? I have been advised to try protein shakes but have always been wary of them.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    disneyboo wrote: »

Would you recommend any type of protein shakes or anything to help alongside exercise? I have been advised to try protein shakes but have always been wary of them.

You don't need protein shakes, calorific foods like fries, burgers, ice cream, chips are all great for adding extra calories. If you don't like that type of food then you can try peanut butter, nuts, avocado, bananas, etc. Anything with a high caloric density will help. You should be logging your foods and know what your maintenance is then aim for 250-500 calories per day above your maintenance. Adjust as best you can for any extra activities and you'll be putting on weight very soon.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Slightl calorie deficit with micro rich foods. Don't be afraid to treat yourself sometimes though. Exercise depends on your goals. If bulking I'm usually focusing more on weight lifting whether it be a strength or hypertrophy program and focusing less on cardio in terms of burning calories, and more of keeping HIIT in a couple times a week for the cardiovascular benefit!(: message or ask for any other questions regarding diet or programs or any question you have and I'll try and help!(:

i think you mean slight caloric surplus….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    disneyboo wrote: »

You don't need protein shakes, calorific foods like fries, burgers, ice cream, chips are all great for adding extra calories. If you don't like that type of food then you can try peanut butter, nuts, avocado, bananas, etc. Anything with a high caloric density will help. You should be logging your foods and know what your maintenance is then aim for 250-500 calories per day above your maintenance. Adjust as best you can for any extra activities and you'll be putting on weight very soon.

this
  • louvig
    louvig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agee with others saying you need to up calories above maintenance. You need to play with the number of calories to see what works for you since everyone is different. Women require less of a calorie surplus then men. Just keep increasing until you see gains every couple of weeks. You may want to do some weight training to make sure your gains are more muscle and less fat. Lean gains will make you more fit.