Nutrisystem!! Does it work?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ohlalalarcey
    Ohlalalarcey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried that? Did it work for you? I'm thinking about buying it but idk if it works.

It works! I'm using it now. I would suggest buying the pre-packaged boxes from Wal-Mart ( $44.00) that contain one week of food to give it a try. They have 3 or 4 varieties of these so if you want to continue using them, you will have a variety. Additionally, if you create an account online, you can purchase items a la carte and create a week's worth for about $50 with free shipping. I think its a great deal! I wouldn't advise signing up for the programs as they are very expensive and force you into an auto shipping agreement. If you are just starting, and don't have time to put together daily meals for yourself, try it! I initially tried putting something my own thing (meal prepping) and got overwhelmed with the whole process. Now that I've been using this system for a couple weeks, I find it easier to sort through the idea of meal prep and even sometimes sub my own items! I'd love to know what you ultimately decide.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I tried it several years ago when I was struggling to deal with an erratic work schedule and creeping weight gain.

Pros: very convenient- although you do have to add in some fresh foods, you can basically just grab and go.

Cons: Basically everything else. I'm not a picky eater, but the food was not good. A slight pro is that this takes the romance and attraction out of eating- if you're not super-excited about your next meal, you kind of stop thinking about it. But this only works if you have enough emotional distance and self-control around eating to not just say to hell with it and eat something off-plan.

It was very expensive, even with discounts.

And the biggest con of all? I stuck to the plan faithfully and I lost no weight. I think the issue is that because their target customer has a lot of weight to lose and I didn't, and because I'm on the small side, it simply wasn't a big enough calorie deficit. They can only adjust your projected intake down by increments that their food comes in, and because the foods that can sub out for each other in each category vary in nutritional content, if you happen to like or choose the slightly higher-calorie options, and if you're near your goal weight and not a tall person, you might not create a meaningful calorie deficit to see loss before you lose your mind from eating really boring, bland food.

I could see it being a helpful way for someone with a lot of weight to lose and absolutely no idea how to manage meal prep or calorie counting to kickstart the process, but I don't think overall it's worth the money, and definitely not for people who don't have a significant amount of weight to lose. There's nothing magic about it- it's just a way of (hopefully) achieving calorie deficit. You can lose more weight eating better food for less money.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I've seen you post a few times now in different threads looking for the key to losing weight. Time after time, you are told how to do it successfully. Use the MFP food tracking, weigh everything and be honest with yourself about the food you are eating. Nutrisystem will work because you are eating less than you are burning. However, you will pay a huge price for that pre-packaged food and you won't learn portion control. By following the process MFP has created, you can learn how to portion your foods and maintain your weight without expensive gimmicks. Give it a try.
  • excitedaboutfitness
    excitedaboutfitness Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did Nutrisystem in the past for 3 months using the non-frozen food option. I went from 185 to 160 and have kept the weight off for 4 years, and have maintained better eating habits since then. I lost another 5 pounds over the last 4 years based on diet/exercise.

Now I'm back on Nutrisystem hoping to get from 155 to around 140 - this time I am doing the frozen food option. Frozen food is SO much better than the shelf-stable. I just went back on it a few days ago, and I've enjoyed all the food so far.

It worked for me, and it can help change your habits if you are on it for a few months.