Finding calories?

I'm coming off of a very unhealthy run that lead me to lose 30 pounds in 3 months. (Yes I'm in therapy, yes, i'm working on it) I'm trying to get healthy again, but stay at this weight. I'm finding it difficult to find healthy calories (read: not empty calories) to get me to an appropriate (and safe) number for caloric intake. Suggestions?

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Your therapist should be working with you on a meal plan. There are too many variables involved for blanket advice over the internet. Generally though, when trying to increase calories, things like full fat dairy, nuts, avocado, healthy oils, etc. are recommended. As you increase your intake though, you will likely see a jump in the scale. This doesn't mean fat gain, just more food/waste in your system and water retention. Do not panic if you see the scale go up. Your therapist will likely suggest you not weigh yourself at home right now.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I second Mirrim. But basically anything that is the basis of a cuisine is calorie dense: figs, dates, nuts, rice, potatoes. Healthy fats like nuts or olive oil. Cheese or cream. All of them have good nutrient value.
  • rebeccautech
    rebeccautech Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Your therapist should be working with you on a meal plan. There are too many variables involved for blanket advice over the internet. Generally though, when trying to increase calories, things like full fat dairy, nuts, avocado, healthy oils, etc. are recommended. As you increase your intake though, you will likely see a jump in the scale. This doesn't mean fat gain, just more food/waste in your system and water retention. Do not panic if you see the scale go up. Your therapist will likely suggest you not weigh yourself at home right now.

Just as an FYI-i see my therapist for a different condition. Not specifically about anorexia, that is just something that happened recently.

I guess I just need healthy calories to make sure I'm hitting my 1300 goal each day. I'm used to much less (like, half) and finding the calories to eat is more difficult than anticipated especially since I'm frequently unable to finish a whole portion.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Keep taking small bites and sips. Add butter or peanut butter to things. It adds up.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Try checking out the Gaining Weight got in here on MFP.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    You might find some ideas here, but I second the suggestion of working with a professional if this is an ongoing problem: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I made a list of my favorite "additives" - various nuts, fruits, granola, etc - things that I could consider 'treats' that are in the 50 to 200 calorie range. Then I prelog my food for the day and put in the additives (as part of a meal or as a snack) to get up to my calorie limit for the day.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    It's actually easy. Just eat whole unprocessed foods. No cow's milk, bread, or soda. Keep total daily carbs under 100. You'll be fine! :)