Fit bit calories burned.

Options
Okay so I woke up and go to my Fitbit and the app and it says I've already burned 500 calories. I didn't get up yet or anything. This is very annoying because I want this thing to be accurate. Anyone have any tips? Am I doing something wrong? :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It is probably accurate. You burn calories just through being alive. When I woke up this morning (very early), I had already burned about 300 calories. Even sleeping we burn calories.

The only time to get worried is if you wake up and find you've burned nothing. Then you're dead. :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It is probably accurate. You burn calories just through being alive. When I woke up this morning (very early), I had already burned about 300 calories. Even sleeping we burn calories.

The only time to get worried is if you wake up and find you've burned nothing. Then you're dead. :)

This^^^

If I just bum around all day in my PJs I will still burn about 1700 calories. :)
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Okay so I woke up and go to my Fitbit and the app and it says I've already burned 500 calories. I didn't get up yet or anything. This is very annoying because I want this thing to be accurate. Anyone have any tips? Am I doing something wrong? :)

It is accurate, you don't only burn when exercising. Breathing, eating, pooping all burn calories :)
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I wake up, my calorie burn is about ~450, if I stayed in bed ALL DAY, I would burn 1816
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    But I shouldn't eat back any of those calories right?? Lol
  • amethyst1973
    amethyst1973 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others. We all burn calories just by being alive, even if we do nothing all day. I personally don't eat my extra calories earned. I ate some a couple of times over the last week and my weight loss wasn't what I wanted it to be. I am happy with the amount I am allowed to eat so going to stick to that. When I get more active and start my running again I will change from lightly active to whatever comes next and eat those. But I don't want to eat too much. I want to get used to eating normal amounts again with extra if I am actually hungry from doing exercise.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    But I shouldn't eat back any of those calories right?? Lol

No. The calorie goal MFP gives you already accounts for the calories you burn through your basic bodily processes and everyday life. If you are interested in eating back activity calories, you should sync your Fitbit with your MFP account so it can do the calculations for you.