How to Lower Body Fat%, Increase Muscle%

Options
Hi! I have heard mixed things lately and would like to have some input. I know that to lose weight it's a simple calories in<calories out. SO when I calculated my TDEE, it suggested 1300 calories a day. MFP suggested, since I work a seated office job, to eat 1200 if I want to lose anything. I work out about five days a week, sometimes six. I try to eat healthy, but I will admit, I have the WORST impulse control and tend to eat junk a few times a week. Anyways, I've been hearing a lot of women say they eat about 2,000 calories a day. I'm really confused as to how much I should eat without gaining fat.

Currently I'm 135lbs at 5'4", 21 years old. My goal is not in lbs, but in toneness and low body fat%.

Also, I have high cholesterol and shouldn't eat a lot of fat during the day.

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Even with a sedentary job that TDEE sounds really low for your age. Did you mean BMR? You can try some bulk and cut cycles or you can try something called recomp. Either way you will need to follow a weight lifting program.
    Here is a thread about recomp: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Ok- I was in the same boat and still am -but what I've learned so far is that -you can't do both at the same time.(naturally)

If you want to "cut" lose body fat - you'd have to go in a deficit -which will lower fat and muslce too (but muscle mass lowering can be somewhat avoided if you lift heavy)

If you want to increase mass- muscle percentage- then go calorically heavy but (eat clean) still lift heavy but eat more than required -increase of 500 or more calories. This method will somewhat allow increase of weight which will in turn get you muscles -which will allow higher muscle % but eating clean though.

For example -seen people bulk first and then cut? -that's what it is. However -they are able to preserve muscle a lot better than someone who is natural and not taking steroids.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1444 based on stats. Working out and every day moving around would probably get it to a 2,200 TDEE. So 1600 calories should work for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png