IS it okay to set up a goal like lose 5 pound every 21 days

I have set up a goal to lose 2 pound every 21 days that means I will lose about 25 pound in 105 days that is about 15 weeks and I have about 50 pounds to lose so that makes it 210 days to lose it all, is it too unrealistic or is it okay

Replies

• hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    ummm... Too much math! I think an important thing to remember is that weight loss isn't linear. Because of life, your body, water weight, menstrual cycles, etc You might not see losses that meet up with your mathematical system.

Depending on your stats (age, height, weight, gender, etc) 5 pounds every 3 weeks could be a reasonable goal, or it could be too aggressive.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    General guideline:
    If you have 0-20lb to lose set it to .5lb a week
    If you have 25-50lb to lose set it to 1 lb a week
    If you have 50-70lb to lose set it to 1.5lb a week
    If you have 100+ to lose set it to 2 lb a week
    Or 1% of body weight weekly.

Setting up your goal too aggressively can lead to muscle loss, which you need to preserve as best you can. Since you have 50 lbs to lose, set it to 1 lb a week.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2016
    Thinking about weight loss in linear terms will only bring disappointment and loss of motivation. Put your weight, height and goal in MFP and start with 1lb a week..follow the calorie restriction & set your lifestyle to sedentary. That way, if you work out 1, 2 ,3+ times a week, you could possibly lose more than 1lb a week..and according to your math, you will probably want a 1-1.5lb lost a week..don't panic over it either
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,131 Member
    I would set your mfp goal at 1 pound per week. That would have you losing 3 pounds every 21 days. But there's no way to guarantee that you will lose that much. You might lose a little more or a little less. Your weight will fluctuate but you will start to see a downward trend if you stick to your calorie goals.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Since is less than 2 pounds a week, it seems reasonable for the first 30 pounds you want to lose. However for the last 15-20 maybe losing 1 pound a week would be more reasonable (so 3 pounds every 21 days).
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    General guideline:

Setting up your goal too aggressively can lead to muscle loss, which you need to preserve as best you can. Since you have 50 lbs to lose, set it to 1 lb a week.

Where do those guidelines come from? Because they seem very restrictive to me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    General guideline:

Where do those guidelines come from? Because they seem very restrictive to me.

How is that restrictive? The guideline is set to prevent muscle loss through too aggressive a goal.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    I say forget a timeline. Focus on the pounds only. You'll get there when you get there.