Walking during the winter

Options
I have a question for all you walkers out there:
Where do you get your walking in during the winter.
I've been doing treadmill walking but that's awfully boring, plus I can't walk with someone else on the treadmill. My brother walks too and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to places to go or things to do where I can get steps and also go with my brother

Replies

• thistimeforsure2016
    Options
    What about walking in the shopping mall or even ikea? If you are gonna use the treadmill try making it more exciting by watching your favourite tv show. Or playing with the inclines and having a reward at every 15 minute interval such as drinking water
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Parks, trails, walkways. For example, I have a park that's close by that runs along the river. It's a 4 mile walk roundtrip along the path that's there. Scenery + nice path = gold. The more public places tend to be better kept as far as keeping the paths shoveled/salted in times of snow and ice. If you go out when it's icy/snowy consider purchasing some Yaktrax.
  • pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been doing inclines as well as watching movies, I just want to be able to help my brother get active too. We may actually go to the mall to be honest
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I put on my longer Underwear and I walk Outside. If you are walking for exercise, then you should be pushing up your heart rate a bit, not just ambling, and that should help keep you warm.
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i walk outside, but I live in Asheville, NC, so it hasn't gotten terribly cold out just yet. I would honestly rather deal with the cold than the treadmill! I went to the gym the other day because it was raining and it just dragged on despite my watching Hulu! I find my walks go by much faster when I'm outside. Just get some nice boots and a good coat.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I walk outside. Louisiana winters are pretty mild and I don't mind walking in 30° weather honestly, I just do something to warm up before I go outside to make it a little easier.

But I've also used big stores like Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. I go to these places for a place to walk on my lunch break from work.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    Put on a couple of layers and head out the door into the neighborhoods behind me. I have never liked winter, but this year, I am not letting it get me down. The layers keep me warm and I get my steps/mileage in. Lowest temperature so far has been 24°F and I am still going.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I walk outside. I live in the city and have been getting off the train a stop or two early before I get to work, even in the cold. A little cold never hurt anyone.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    pbandz wrote: »
    I have a question for all you walkers out there:
    Where do you get your walking in during the winter.
    I've been doing treadmill walking but that's awfully boring, plus I can't walk with someone else on the treadmill. My brother walks too and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to places to go or things to do where I can get steps and also go with my brother

I go outside. Neighborhood, parks, trails, city riverwalks, etc. If it is cold, I add layers. If it is icy, I wear my nanospikes. If we just got a lot of snow, I wear my snowshoes. Today was -5° and I walked.

My bank is 1 mile from home. The drugstore is 1.25 miles. The grocery is 1.5 miles. I walk to complete my errands to those places.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do treadmill now as I burn more calories walking at an incline (and the gym has the Solitaire app on them, which makes time fly for me), but I did a whole Winter walking outside... Just layers, gloves, hats, and even bought those anti slipping things you put on your shoes as it got very icy (Yaktrax, that's the name, thanks above)... A year ago I walked 12 miles in NYC with -20 degree windchills, lol. Just got to bundle up.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm a wuss about the cold. I've been doing Leslie Sansone's videos (some are on YouTube) and Jessica Smith is another person who does something similar.

If I'm running errands anyway, I'll do some laps around the store/mall first, then go back for a cart and do my shopping. Adds on 20 minutes to my trip, but that's not so bad.

~Lyssa
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Mall.
  • pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm a wuss when it comes to cold, too. It's been ~15 degrees here lately. I have a hiking trail in my backyard that I take my dogs on occasionally. For now I'll stick to short walks outside, long walks on the treadmill, and trips to large stores.
    However I start college this week and my one class is a half mile walk each way, and I have that class three days a week, so that helps
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Like other posters, I walk outside. I dress in layers and I walk around my neighborhood until I complete my daily step goal. Burned calories is a bonus.
  • cherrybergher
    cherrybergher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    To be honest I pace the length of my house when it is too cold out. Put on a good show on the TV and walk back and forth. I don't have a treadmill.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of mall walkers in the winter time when I'm there. I used to work at a shop at the mall and would see some even get there before the shops open and just walk back and forth. If you can layer up and go outside, I'd recommend looking to see if there are walking trails near you, many of them will be plowed or just walk in a downtown or neighborhood area if you have one near you because the sidewalks will be shoveled.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like walking in the mall when it's really cold out. My dad is 70 and walks 21 (or more) miles every week in the local mall, lol. He goes in the early morning with his senior pals. But in the evenings it isn't that crew of white Reebok-wearing guys n' gals if that bugs you, lol...it's just ordinary mall shoppers with the occasional person walking a little more fast & purposeful (myself among them).

I also like to just bundle up and walk outside on trails and in my neighborhood. Winter days when the sun is shining as long as it's at least a little above freezing, I find it pretty comfortable once I am moving quickly and have a coat, hat and/or gloves on.

While it's not the same thing as walking, being cooped up inside when it's CRAZY cold and snowy/icy, I usually try to burn a few calories by tackling projects like reorganizing and deep cleaning. That way I don't need to do "spring cleaning" when actual Spring weather hits.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Although I'm in Tucson Az we do get A.M temps at the freezing point...and I dress in layers and try to bust butt walking (or I'll run/jog to warm up). Double layers of gloves, long johns or leggings under sweats, navy watch hat to prevent heat loss. Also I use my treadmill but agree with you, boring even with a good show , music or audio books.

In summer I'm also walking daily and we get temps over 100...brutal being outside for 5 miles with the sun.

I have also gone walking in the mall by me, opens up earlier for walkers.

Try seeing if there are any indoor tracks you can walk on.
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like walking in the mall when it's really cold out. My dad is 70 and walks 21 (or more) miles every week in the local mall, lol. He goes in the early morning with his senior pals. But in the evenings it isn't that crew of white Reebok-wearing guys n' gals if that bugs you, lol...it's just ordinary mall shoppers with the occasional person walking a little more fast & purposeful (myself among them).

I also like to just bundle up and walk outside on trails and in my neighborhood. Winter days when the sun is shining as long as it's at least a little above freezing, I find it pretty comfortable once I am moving quickly and have a coat, hat and/or gloves on.

While it's not the same thing as walking, being cooped up inside when it's CRAZY cold and snowy/icy, I usually try to burn a few calories by tackling projects like reorganizing and deep cleaning. That way I don't need to do "spring cleaning" when actual Spring weather hits.
    I walk outside. Louisiana winters are pretty mild and I don't mind walking in 30° weather honestly, I just do something to warm up before I go outside to make it a little easier.

But I've also used big stores like Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. I go to these places for a place to walk on my lunch break from work.

• 30change
    30change Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you go to church, you might try to get a small walking group going at yours. You wouldn't have to all walk together, but just maybe all within the same time frame ( to make sure someone is there to let you all in and out). Churches usually sit empty most days of the week with only a core staff running it. With a lot of big empty spaces; it is ideal... and connects that mind, body, and soul feeling.