Should you REALLY eat in the morning before a workout?

Options

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have 1/2 cup Cheerios with skim milk before my workout. I can not work out on an empty stomach. Workout starts at 6AM. Later on I usually have plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and sliced almonds.
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Its different for everyone i used to workot on an empty stomach like 3 years ago idk why but now if i do it i feel like im going to faint...i usually eat oatmeal or a chewy granola bar about 30-45 min before working out and it gets me through t25 but its up to u and how u feel
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you're doing cardio, I suggest empty stomach. I've burned more fat this way.
    Curious as to how you would know this.
    I can tell, it's my body. This is rather an odd question. I've tried both ways and cardio on empty stomach has given me better results.

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of choice!!! The you burn more fat doing fasted cardio is just woo!!
    I always eat because I tried on an empty stomach....after 30min......I hit the wall....literally lol I fainted :wink:
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    I don't want to argue but it's not a matter of choice. You tap into your fat stores quicker when you do cardio on an empty stomach...this is backed by research. When you eat before you do cardio, all you're burning off is the food you just ate and any other notion is incorrect. You can lose weight a million ways, including being stranded on an island with no food for a month. If we're talking about the most efficient way to lose fat, then cardio on empty stomach is better.

http://greatist.com/fitness/why-you-should-exercise-on-an-empty-stomach
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I don't want to argue but it's not a matter of choice. You tap into your fat stores quicker when you do cardio on an empty stomach

True but irrelevant, because how much fat you burn during the exercise itself isn't related to the change in your body fat day after day as a result of exercise.

The latter, which is really important, is all about your calorie deficit, timing plays no role.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I don't want to argue but it's not a matter of choice. You tap into your fat stores quicker when you do cardio on an empty stomach...this is backed by research. When you eat before you do cardio, all you're burning off is the food you just ate and any other notion is incorrect. You can lose weight a million ways, including being stranded on an island with no food for a month. If we're talking about the most efficient way to lose fat, then cardio on empty stomach is better.

That's a blog not scientific research
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If you're doing cardio, I suggest empty stomach. I've burned more fat this way.
    Curious as to how you would know this.
    I can tell, it's my body. This is rather an odd question. I've tried both ways and cardio on empty stomach has given me better results.

Today's word is "confirmation bias "

Can you say "confirmation bias" ?

I bet you can.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Substrate utilization is irrelevant to weight/fat loss. This is backed by research also. I won't bother reposting Wetcoaster's links, which address the issue.

As to the OP, it comes down to personal preference. Whichever works best for you in terms of performance is perfectly fine. Some people get nauseated if they eat before a workout, others are fine with it. Worrying about fasted vs. non-fasted training is majoring in the minors.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Let's say you have two people with the same amount of money n their bank accounts. Both decide to buy the same car for the same price.
    Person A buys it before he gets his pay check. Person B after he got his. They also receive the same amount of pay.
    Who has more money on his account at the end of the day?
    If your answer is anything other than "This is stupid, they both obviously will have the same amount." you should rethink some things.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Let's say you have two people with the same amount of money n their bank accounts. Both decide to buy the same car for the same price.
    Person A buys it before he gets his pay check. Person B after he got his. They also receive the same amount of pay.
    Who has more money on his account at the end of the day?

Person A because his check bounced. ;)
  • schindml09
    schindml09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Eat when you are hungry. I have a fast metabolism, so if I am hungry before the gym, I will make a protein-water shake and then eat when I get out of the gym. If I am not hungry I will skip the shake. I also do not do any supplements as I do not think you need them if you practice eating a balanced diet. Black coffee helps if you are tired before a workout!
  • summerkissed
    Options

If you eat prior to a workout you tap into fat stores slower but the percentage of fat burned during the wo is greater

Was going to go into the nitty gritty but decided not to....that's was meant to be deleted oooop's
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    When I wake up I'm hungry. I drink a cup of coffee while I'm cooking breakfast (3 egg whites, 1whole egg and 2 chicken sausage) and drink 2 more cups while I'm eating. About 20 minutes later I'm doing my workout, which is primarily cardio/ aerobics. I cannot work out hungry; I'd have a migraine in 15 minutes.
  • muscleandbeard
    Options

Didn't say that was research, just gave you something to read. You're still wrong but whatever floats your boat. I don't think you understand the human body as much as you think you do. Timing of your meals is important. Anyone who's ever done any fitness competition knows this.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Didn't say that was research, just gave you something to read. You're still wrong but whatever floats your boat. I don't think you understand the human body as much as you think you do. Timing of your meals is important. Anyone who's ever done any fitness competition knows this.

#broscience #Dunning-Krueger
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

ok
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Orly?

fasted cardio does not appear to be superior for fat loss based on scientific evidence and my own anecdotal evidence with myself and the clients I work with. So instead of suffering as a fasted cardio zombie on a treadmill, have some food beforehand and kick thermogenesis into high gear for improved fat loss! Layne Norton

http://fitnessrxformen.com/training/fasted-cardio/#sthash.kWiKk9n2.dpuf