Really good cardio and really bad hair?

Options
aquarabbit
aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
Ever since I started doing cardio in the morning, I've had great results. Except on the top of my head. I don't like to wash my hair everyday, but after a really intense cardio session, it's almost essential since I am drenched in sweat. My hair isn't long enough to pull into a ponytail and even with a headband or bandana, I get all wet. Any tips? I've just been washing and conditioning my hair everyday. Would dry shampoo be the only option if I didn't want to wash my hair? Not sure if this is the right place to put this topic, but I figured since it's workout related, this would have the most people who can relate.

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You could try washing with sorbolene cream, (a moisturizer), instead of shampoo and conditioner. But pick a Saturday morning so if you don't like the result you have time to redo.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have curly/dry/coarse hair--I dont' like to wash everyday. Some days I just rinse and condition. It works for me!
  • hunttmama
    hunttmama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that dry shampoo makes my hair fuzzy and ... well, big. I have relatively short hair, though I can pull it back to a ponytail with which I can fake a pretty good bun, but when it's loose it's FREAKY with dry shampoo. I'd say rinse (to get the sweat smell out) and use a spray-on conditioner (you can make it with a good conditioner and water in a spray bottle). It works really well at keeping the frizzies out of your hair and smelling fresh!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I don't use shampoo or conditioner. Ever. Google "no poo" if your interested in more details.

Basically I use baking soda to wash and apple cider vinegar to condition. It works great! My dandruff completely dissapeared and my hair is in much better condition than it ever has been before. Best of all, I only have to "wash" 1x a week. I just rinse my hair after a sweaty workout and style as usual.
  • dyevine
    dyevine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also use the no-poo method- It's been working for me for almost a year now. When I'm feeling like I want my hair to have a bit of that shampoo smell, I just add lavender or lemon oil to my vinegar rinse! Totally worth a shot, and not as gross as you might think!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I rinse and use a drop of conditioner daily. Once or twice qa month I condition with coconut oil. In fact I stopped using shampoo a few years ago and my hair is much better behaved as as result.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Rinse and condition.
    I wash mine every other day and do the rinse and condition on my non wash days if I've done an intense workout! :)
  • Raeesa777
    Raeesa777 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i just rinse my hair.. i dont condition sooo much coz my hair falls a lot.. i wash my hair every 2nd or 3rd day.. and i put coconut oil once evry 2 weeks... it works well for me
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I swim, so I wash my hair after every swim with shampoo and conditioner, but to keep it from getting too damaged, I use a very moisturizing shampoo, then a very moisturizing conditioner, then i add a small dollop of the same conditioner as a leave-in, and if my hair is still horribly unruly, I'll add a little bit of serum with an oil in it. I also have extremely fine thick curly hair... it's a very weird combination.
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Bumping because you ladies have good advice.

ETA: Wouldn't your hair be a little greasy from all the sweat if you don't shampoo? I shampoo and condition mine everyday.

Sorry, OP, I have no answer for you.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Im a cosmetologist. :)
    You can use baby powder to absorb oil. Be careful not to "blob "it on..they do make a "dry shampoo,"which is a spray powder in a can. Or you can blowdry with low heat upsidedown to fluff your hair. Some conditioners will weigh your hair down and attract oils .
    Your friends are right too...you dont need sudsy shampoo to clean. Redken used to make a non -lathering shampoo but people are so conditioned to needing the lather to feel like their hair is clean I dont think they sell it anymore.
    I personally think you need to rinse out the salt from sweating so id rinse at least.
    Make sure you put the powder into DRY hair.(it'll cake up)
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I only condition and rinse. Shampoo dries out my hair.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Bumping because you ladies have good advice.

ETA: Wouldn't your hair be a little greasy from all the sweat if you don't shampoo? I shampoo and condition mine everyday.

Sorry, OP, I have no answer for you.

My hair is not oily at all and I havent used shampoo since december 2012.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    For ladies with long hair:

washing my hair from my workouts really ruins it, but no-poo doesn't work on my fine hair (seems to be better for thicker, curlier hair.)

Solution: Before I work out I rub coconut oil into the ends and about halfway up my ponytail, then i twist it into a bun and tuck the coconut oil ends inside the bun so they are hidden.

While I work out the coconut oil heats up and moisturizes the ends, once I wash it out my hair is better than before! It's definitely saved the ends of my hair. Especially good for sweaty cardio or hot yoga sessions.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the onlyone, doing cardio almost every day and I get very sweaty, tying hair back makes no difference because it's my scalp/roots that's still get effected, I have tried rinsing but my hair still looks greasy after, may try this other method mentioned as the more I wash my hair it looks greasier more quickly
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the onlyone, doing cardio almost every day and I get very sweaty, tying hair back makes no difference because it's my scalp/roots that's still get effected, I have tried rinsing but my hair still looks greasy after, may try this other method mentioned as the more I wash my hair it looks greasier more quickly
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    seems kinda gross you wouldn't want to wash your hair after it being drenched with sweat.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    seems kinda gross you wouldn't want to wash your hair after it being drenched with sweat.

Uh, that's kind of the point. I DO want to wash my hair when it's drenched with sweat. But washing it everyday isn't ideal if you have long hair.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    we ain't lookin at your hair honey!!! Besides everyone knows a guy likes a ponytail, LMAO :devil: