GMO Researcher's work is pulled

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Interesting, although I doubt this is going to have any major implications for the future.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Did you know the FDA approved combining a salmon with an Eel? Just to make it grow faster?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AquAdvantage_salmon
    GMO foods. Lets all eat them and never question them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @JanetYellen did you know we share half our DNA with a banana?
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1. Putting one gene from an eel into a salmon (which is what happened) does not have nearly the same implications as "combining a salmon with an eel," which implies some bizarre kind of 50:50 cross breed (which would not work).

2. Salmon have, on average, a smaller size than decades ago because of overfishing. (The biggest fish get caught, meaning the ones left over to reproduce are smaller and pass on genes for smaller body size to their offspring.) If adding one gene makes farmed salmon get bigger, this could have the effect of reducing strain on wild populations (which have been totally interfered with by humans).

Full disclosure: I am a vegetarian and don't eat salmon at all. But I have no problem with GMOs. (I do have a problem with researchers who fudge data just to get publications.)

Qualifications backing up my opinion on the subject: Bachelor's degrees in biology and chemistry, PhD in biochemistry.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    1. Putting one gene from an eel into a salmon (which is what happened) does not have nearly the same implications as "combining a salmon with an eel," which implies some bizarre kind of 50:50 cross breed (which would not work).

2. Salmon have, on average, a smaller size than decades ago because of overfishing. (The biggest fish get caught, meaning the ones left over to reproduce are smaller and pass on genes for smaller body size to their offspring.) If adding one gene makes farmed salmon get bigger, this could have the effect of reducing strain on wild populations (which have been totally interfered with by humans).

Full disclosure: I am a vegetarian and don't eat salmon at all. But I have no problem with GMOs. (I do have a problem with researchers who fudge data just to get publications.)

Qualifications backing up my opinion on the subject: Bachelor's degrees in biology and chemistry, PhD in biochemistry.

I like you
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Did you know the FDA approved combining a salmon with an Eel? Just to make it grow faster?

Or..... We could try to truly understand a topic before commenting.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

This explains so much! :smile:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Some, I think, share more. Like 75%.
  • asimms221
    asimms221 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I see no difference in how it's done now and how modern day corn came about.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Regarding #2, is there anything wrong with having smaller sized fish?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Or..... We could try to truly understand a topic before commenting.

Oh, you idealist, you!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The problem with smaller sized fish is more bones.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The problem with smaller sized fish is more bones.

And needing more of them.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

r2qb4thjsw4z.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

r2qb4thjsw4z.png

Okay, that made me LOL. :D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

r2qb4thjsw4z.png

Okay, that made me LOL. :D

Me too! :laugh:
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure we should be friends. :D I came here to see if I wanted to muster the energy to explain the silliness of the GMO fearmongering today, but you did it for me--and well. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian myself and am working on my bachelor's in environmental science. Ya make a girl happy. Well done.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Glad to help the t-dna'ers find each other.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Regarding #2, is there anything wrong with having smaller sized fish?

Yeah. It means having to eat more of them.