For the lifters who use belts-

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
How snug should it be? I have been lifting for a year (SL 5x5) and now I'm doing PHUL. I got an inexpensive lifting belt to see if it could help me brace the abs better. I had tried a small in a store months ago and it would barely catch the Velcro to close. So I got a medium for Christmas. I've lost about 10 lbs since I tried the small and my medium is as tight as it will go but doesn't feel very snug. I got a cheap one to try as a training belt and planned to get a better one done the line.

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I vary the degree of tightness depending on the lift. Tighter for squat and looser for deadlift. There is no uniform way it should be; it varies on the individual. If it were a prong belt, I'd suggest drilling another hole in it. Is there any way you can tighten it at all? What is it made of?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I vary the degree of tightness depending on the lift. Tighter for squat and looser for deadlift. There is no uniform way it should be; it varies on the individual. If it were a prong belt, I'd suggest drilling another hole in it. Is there any way you can tighten it at all? What is it made of?

This is pretty much verbatim what I would have typed.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I prefer looser on squats and bench and tighter on deads.

For squats, I just hate the feeling when it's too tight and I feel like I can't get a full breath. For bench it's getting the right tightness where it doesn't affect my arch.

For deads though, I love feeling it tight and really able to push out against it.

I also wear if in slightly different positions for all three lifts.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    It's this one-http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/harbinger/womens-5-inch-foam-core-belt.html?MCID=CG-PLA-US-GS_harbinger&PLASKU=HARB1690012&CAWELAID=120147270000061962&catargetid=120147270000105803&cadevice=m&gclid=CKaO8NqVssoCFcwYHwodiKUDZQ

Cheap, I know! But I work out at home, I'm not competing and just wanted to try a belt to see if it's worth it for me to invest in a better prong one. I have to pull it as tight as it will go through the buckle and I can't tighten any more because I've run out of usable belt strap. I feel like I'd want it just a touch tighter. I think I should try the small size again to see if it fits different. I've definitely gotten smaller as all my workout pants are getting loose on me now. Not a terrible problem but annoying that nothing fits. I appreciate all of your input!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't know but I ordered an Inzer lever belt in a small and that thing better fit. I would try the small again if I were you. What is your waist measurement?
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    26.5", down from 28" in September when I probably tried the small. I think I'm in between sizes for the cheap belt. May have to get a prong belt. Now I see they are far more adjustable.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    A couple of lifters I know/follow on IG have that lever belt. It looks nice! I hope it fits & works well for you@artidarose
  • arditarose
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    26.5", down from 28" in September when I probably tried the small. I think I'm in between sizes for the cheap belt. May have to get a prong belt. Now I see they are far more adjustable.

Yeah, you're a pretty standard size small I think.
  • arditarose
    Options
    A couple of lifters I know/follow on IG have that lever belt. It looks nice! I hope it fits & works well for you@artidarose

Thanks. If it arrives during my lifetime I hope so too.

• Sumiblue
    Options
    Funny how my brain has not caught up to the reality that I've lost weight.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i wear my belt very tight.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I remember those feels. I ordered mine at the end of June last year and got it at the end of August. The wait was made worse by the fact they had accidently shipped my singlet I had ordered before to the wrong person!

But I love their customer service and their gear.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I remember those feels. I ordered mine at the end of June last year and got it at the end of August. The wait was made worse by the fact they had accidently shipped my singlet I had ordered before to the wrong person!

But I love their customer service and their gear.

Ahhh so long! It's going to be like second christmas when it arrives though.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options

I have an Inzer XS and am the same waist measurement; it fits well. I wear mine tight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I wear mine tight out of preference. Mine has adjustable prongs though so if I need to loosen it for a certain lift then I can.
    I found it helps remind me of my form ( I'm a hot mess so need any reminder I can get )
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks for the info @thorsmom01 & lisalsd1.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I wear mine snug. Mine's a buckle style and I use the tightest hole I can without having to really force it.

Also, I highly recommend General Leathercraft (they sell their fitness products under the name Pioneer Fitness). They make excellent belts and at a lower price point (for the base model) than other manufacturers.
    I have the 4-inch 10mm lifting belt. Solid and comfortable.

For sizing, they have instructions on how to measure your waist to know which size you need.

They also do customized embroidery and stitching. Sharp stuff.

ETA
    https://www.instagram.com/pioneer_fit/?hl=en
  • Sumiblue
    Options
  • arditarose
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »

I have an Inzer XS and am the same waist measurement; it fits well. I wear mine tight.

Crap. I'm up to 27inches now because I'm bulking but I'm usually 26.5 as well. Do you think the Inzer small will fit okay?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

The plain solid colors in the 10mm are only about $65 with free shipping and a lifetime guarantee.
    Custom jobs are more around $100 I think (still comparable to some other brands).
    Great family business with outstanding customer service.

Oh and as for belts in general, the difference between a leather belt and a fabric/padded/poly belt is about the same as the difference between a leather belt and no belt at all.
    They don't even compare.