Cardio vs weight training

Options
I've managed to lose over 2 stone (yay me!) and I want to lose roughly another 2 stone, I lost the first two with watching calories, eating cleaner and cardio based work outs... now I want to tone up a lot more (like my stomach, thighs and arms), but I don't want to become 'muscley'.

Cardio I am finding multiple reasons to love more and more the more I do it, it's also very easy for me to do, just go put headphones in and dance my *kitten* off for an hour or go for a very long (90+ mins) walk/hour jog, all of which are making me lose inches and lbs so I'm very happy. I am noticing toning in my tummy and bottom of legs and back, but it's taken me over 12 months to shift this weight.....

But if I was to start weight training I'd need to either use a gym or buy a load if weights, neither of which I can afford....

Is it possible to tone up just by cardio or will I need to do weight training? Will it get more noticeable the more weight I lose, I started with a BMI of 36 and I'm now at 30, in another 2 stone it'll be 24 (I'm very short!).

I'm aware you can't spot reduce before you start jumping down my neck!.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If you love cardio then do cardio. If you want to add some weight training you can start out with body weight exercises.

A couple of resources here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/

Body by You (book)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345528972
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There are many apps out there for your phone that use body weight training as well. I just started using Gorilla Workout. I'm only on day 3 but so far I've liked it. I go to Nerd Fitness as well and have found a lot of great information.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I use a TRX suspension trainer for strength workouts, along with playground equipment in parks wherever i happen to be at the time. The TRX was not cheap, but I saved by buying it used and cancelling my gym membership.

Weight training doesn't make your muscles grow all that much. It breaks them down. To make them grow, you have to eat at surplus and keep beating on your muscles. Unless you work really hard at it, eat massive and lift really hard, then diet away the newly acquired fat, you won't get that "muscley" look. You are definitely not going to accomplish looking muscle bound by accident so do not worry about that!

If you can find a workout buddy who can spot you and assist things like pullups and dips, you can accomplish all your strength training at a playground with no additional equipment. Maybe use a plastic bag for arm moves like curls and tricep extensions (partner provides resistance).
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    getting a kettlebell might be fun. it is a cardio and strength exercise at the same time and can be done at home in small spaces. you can get these really cheap too. for a beginning there is no need for expensive ones
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've managed to lose over 2 stone (yay me!) and I want to lose roughly another 2 stone, I lost the first two with watching calories, eating cleaner and cardio based work outs... now I want to tone up a lot more (like my stomach, thighs and arms), but I don't want to become 'muscley'.

Cardio I am finding multiple reasons to love more and more the more I do it, it's also very easy for me to do, just go put headphones in and dance my *kitten* off for an hour or go for a very long (90+ mins) walk/hour jog, all of which are making me lose inches and lbs so I'm very happy. I am noticing toning in my tummy and bottom of legs and back, but it's taken me over 12 months to shift this weight.....

But if I was to start weight training I'd need to either use a gym or buy a load if weights, neither of which I can afford....

Is it possible to tone up just by cardio or will I need to do weight training? Will it get more noticeable the more weight I lose, I started with a BMI of 36 and I'm now at 30, in another 2 stone it'll be 24 (I'm very short!).

I'm aware you can't spot reduce before you start jumping down my neck!.

It's highly unlikely you will get very "muscley", as you put it from strength training unless you dedicate a significant amount of time or effort. And if you stop, muscles will go away - use it or lose it. I would recommend strength training to maintain the muscle you already have and not lose it as you lose weight. It will help you maintain an active metabolism, make weight loss easier and focus the loss on fat and not LBM.

You can "tone up" using body weight exercises and do not need a gym - a gym is just much more efficient way of using your time - find yourself a good body weight program and stick to it. It should have progressive levels of difficulty and involve full body workout. There are a lot if programs out there. However, most people have a hard time finding something and sticking to it - again why the gym is so useful.

Good luck.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    If you get adjustable dumbbells or a barbell, you can slowly buy more weight plates as & when, you don't have to buy everything all at once. Cheaper than a gym membership :) You're in the UK, right, so check out Argos. Yup, right here, 23 quid for DBs:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9017355.htm

or 60 for this set:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9017379.htm

(don't get vinyl ones, they're cheapest but bulky to store and bulky on a bar)

I love DBs. (Kettlebell, idk, you'd outgrow that one fast, sort of stuck with just that weight.)
  • saryan1
    saryan1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been doing cardio and weights at the gym, and have recently read that if I'm not lifting enough weight I can perhaps decrease my chances of building muscle. Not sure how much truth there is to this or if anyone can provide a guideline to how much weight someone should lift to tone and tighten?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    resistance training is the only thing that is going to substantially change body composition. If you can't go to a gym, start doing body weight resistance...there are numerous programs out there. In the absence of resistance training you also lose a lot of muscle along with the fat when you diet.

Also, it's not cardio vs weight training/resistance training...any good fitness regimen is going to have aspects of both...you really can't be fit without both.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Also, it's not cardio vs weight training/resistance training...any good fitness regimen is going to have aspects of both...you really can't be fit without both.

Yep, forgot to mention that.
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    Weight training is so beneficial. Try it for a couple of weeks and see for yourself! :)
  • yogayug
    yogayug Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for sharing !!