Body Toning

Options
Hi, I'm looking for advice on a workout plan for toning, I do plenty of cardio.( walking, cycling, trampoline fitness ) I am looking to start some sort of strength training 3 times per week. What would you suggest? Join gym and do weight training? Or are there any really effective strength / toning dvd's out there?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    there are a few bodyweight programmes - look up Convict Conditioning or You are your Own Gym as a start.

Otherwise look for a free weights based programme. Such as:

Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for women
    Starting Strength.

All are great beginner programmes to get you lifting weights and improving core strength. DEFINITELY follow a programme to start with.
  • 7yearbitch
    7yearbitch Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    To add what girlinahat listed, there is also the Strong Curves program.

I'm doing New Rules right now after a year of working with a strength and conditioning coach. It's a good program. When I'm done this one, I'll be moving on to Strong Curves. Neither of these books are expensive. You can find them at your library, or buy them for $15-25.

Personally, if someone is serious about getting into lifting, I suggest seeing a trainer or coach, at least a handful of times, simply to work on form and technique. Lifting can hurt you if not done properly. And research the trainer. I'd look for someone who is strength and conditioning certified.

(Also, and I'm nitpicking, there's no such thing as toning. It's a marketing buzz word. The only way to 'look toned' is to lose body fat and gain muscle.)