Exercise

Options
Hi everyone! I recently started adding exercise back in, and wanted to start slowly, to avoid overdoing it, and hating life. I am not someone who enjoys exercising.

So I started off with my Leslie Sansone walking videos, and after day 3, something felt off with my left knee. It was sore, so I iced it. But the more time has gone on, it has started hurting every single day. The only thing that really helps is wearing a knee brace, and/or taking Advil. But this has me worried. What could I possibly have done that it still hurts 30 days later? And what exercises can I do for the time being, while waiting to get in to see my orthopedic doctor? I should note that I had torn the meniscus about 16 years ago, and had it repaired. I fell about two years ago when I tripped on the sidewalk, and slammed it down pretty hard. But x-rays at the time showed no injury.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you'd only had pain for a day or two my best guess would have been just overuse, as it's been 30 day I'd wait until I see the doc rather than relying on guesses by random folks on the Internet...

Once the doctor has diagnosed the problem it may be worthwhile hooking up with a physiotherapist to help design a program that won't result in further injury.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Re: Leslie Sansone

Are you doing workouts on a carpeted surface? The side to side elements on a carpeted surface can make my knees hurt. Now I put a puzzle mat down. It sort of reminds me to pick my feet up. I do grapevine steps instead of double side steps, again so I pick up my feet. I don't do Leslie everyday, I trade off with strength training days.

Stretching after is really important. Most Leslie workouts only have a minimum amount of stretching.

Here's a Leslie video that is just stretching: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqRT8P3Cfuk
    Find some of these stretches that are specific to you and add them to the end of every workout

Because you've had a prior injury I would definitely see a doctor.