Breakfast Fruit Smoothies and Portions (Need Advice)

Options

Replies

• Karivan54
    Karivan54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink a smoothie for breakfast almost every day. Get the book Simple Green Smoothies by Jen Hansard and Jadah Sellner. There's a lot of nutritional information and 100 recipes. I don't use whey protein powder, I don't think it helps with weight loss. I bought a natural vegan protein powder at the natural food store with 20g protein.

For really super good nutrition advice, go to the web site, Eat This, Not That. They're also on Facebook. Just like the name, they tell you to eat this good food not that junk food. They have a section where you can look up your chain restaurant and they'll tell you the most healthy dish.

Good luck! I know you can do it! The more you educate yourself, the better you will do.
  • CrattleCrie
    CrattleCrie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @rabbitjb what do you mean if I don't eat breakfast don't waste your money on a smoothie? I don't eat breakfast because of stomach issues, and how it settles. I'm looking for a drink that gives me proper nutrients and protein where I should be getting from eating breakfast.

I don't spent money on breakfast to begin with 99% of the time my grocery shopping consists of meals for the week for dinner time, I don't get much for lunch. I weight 198lbs then went from 190 to 165 then went back up to weighing 210lbs. Going from 190 to 165 was puberty, and now I'm just slowly climbing into a hole, and I think because of my age and the way I eat is completely incorrect especially how I fast until 5-6pm every night.

If that adds some insight thank you.

I said why waste calories not why waste money :)

My implication was that if you don't like to eat breakfast you do not need to force yourself to eat it as it does not change your metabolism in any way if you eat or don't eat breakfast ...it is about calories across the week not calories within a specific time frame

If you want to start to eat breakfast for any reason other than a belief that it will impact on weight loss that's fair enough

If you like the thought of smoothies also fair enough

This is also personal choice not a rule

I know what it's like to weigh 210 ...I also know how it feels to find a change in lifestyle that means you can lose all the weight you want to and maintain...I wish you luck
    @rabbitjb what do you mean if I don't eat breakfast don't waste your money on a smoothie? I don't eat breakfast because of stomach issues, and how it settles. I'm looking for a drink that gives me proper nutrients and protein where I should be getting from eating breakfast.

I don't spent money on breakfast to begin with 99% of the time my grocery shopping consists of meals for the week for dinner time, I don't get much for lunch. I weight 198lbs then went from 190 to 165 then went back up to weighing 210lbs. Going from 190 to 165 was puberty, and now I'm just slowly climbing into a hole, and I think because of my age and the way I eat is completely incorrect especially how I fast until 5-6pm every night.

My implication was that if you don't like to eat breakfast you do not need to force yourself to eat it as it does not change your metabolism in any way if you eat or don't eat breakfast ...it is about calories across the week not calories within a specific time frame

If you want to start to eat breakfast for any reason other than a belief that it will impact on weight loss that's fair enough

I know what it's like to weigh 210 ...I also know how it feels to find a change in lifestyle that means you can lose all the weight you want to and maintain...I wish you luck

• CrattleCrie
    Options
    @rabbitjb Sorry miss understood. I appreciate your information. I guess my diet is mainly just over eating and fried foods, I always thought that 3 meals a day was a good way to get your insides moving and actively digesting food at a pace unlike me where I'm not getting any type of protein or calories in the morning, I don't mind not eating breakfast doesn't bother me too much that's just what I always thought.

I guess I need to stop buying fried and Greasy food. Still I have no idea how to properly portion food yet, especially with some of the replies talking about percentages for fats etc.

How long did it take you to get use to eating and preparing healthy meals? What should a healthy meal consist of? Protein, vegetable and rice? I mean I grew up on potatoes and pan fried rice, which I'm not too certain that that alone is healthy.
  • CrattleCrie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Karivan54 wrote: »
    I drink a smoothie for breakfast almost every day. Get the book Simple Green Smoothies by Jen Hansard and Jadah Sellner. There's a lot of nutritional information and 100 recipes. I don't use whey protein powder, I don't think it helps with weight loss. I bought a natural vegan protein powder at the natural food store with 20g protein.

For really super good nutrition advice, go to the web site, Eat This, Not That. They're also on Facebook. Just like the name, they tell you to eat this good food not that junk food. They have a section where you can look up your chain restaurant and they'll tell you the most healthy dish.

Good luck! I know you can do it! The more you educate yourself, the better you will do.

@Karivan54 I appreciate the advice, and support. The hardest part for me is really keeping my heart set out on eating healthy, I appreciate the website ideas which sounds awesome. Did you find that drinking fruit and protein in the morning boost your mood, and boost your ability to lose weight?

• CrattleCrie
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean I always thought that eating 3 meals a day would boost your body insides to work more properly, I'm probably wrong. I use spices on my food as well, what do you use for a breaking? I usually buy bread crumbs (plain, Italian etc.) from the store and just use that, but I'm sure it is loaded with sodium and carbs (obviously)!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Drinking a smoothie in the morning is a great way to get the nutrition your body needs to start the day. @rabbitjb when you wake up in the morning your body is in fast mode since it has not eaten in around 8 hours. Drinking a smoothie actually stimulates your gut and digestive process unlike skipping breakfast in the morning. @Colorscheme Berries are high in carbs for someone who follows a low carb meal plan and so is yogurt. One thing I have found with smoothie recipes on the ole inter-webs is people pack too much "stuff" into them. Yogurt, Bananas, berries milk. When I look at the calories some are pushing 500 plus for one 8 oz serving.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hey

I posted some recipes upthread - mooch around the skinnytaste site - see what you like the look of, try cooking that - nothing wrong with potatoes and rice - make it fit with your likes and your calorie amounts

You weigh 210, I assume roughly around 6' and in your 20s

if you're lightly exercising 3 times a week - your calories should be around 2300

I would recommend some progressive resistance

aim for protein at a minimum of 134g
    fats at a minimum of 74g
    carbs wherever you want

eat a wide range of brightly coloured vegetables, lean protein like chicken, fish, dairy etc
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    sstolii123 wrote: »
    Drinking a smoothie in the morning is a great way to get the nutrition your body needs to start the day. @rabbitjb when you wake up in the morning your body is in fast mode since it has not eaten in around 8 hours. Drinking a smoothie actually stimulates your gut and digestive process unlike skipping breakfast in the morning. @Colorscheme Berries are high in carbs for someone who follows a low carb meal plan and so is yogurt. One thing I have found with smoothie recipes on the ole inter-webs is people pack too much "stuff" into them. Yogurt, Bananas, berries milk. When I look at the calories some are pushing 500 plus for one 8 oz serving.

No need to stimulate anything - doesn't help weight loss .. your digestion doesn't shut down whilst you eat

skipping breakfast is personal choice - some feel energised by eating breakfast others don't

there is no such thing as 'fast mode' in terms of the metabolism .. there is adaptive thermogenesis but this ain't it

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This is the most filling meal per calories I have made to date.

826a7629753c4307f4da84684e5bb169.png

wow.. I need to try this!
    that is my big complaint about smoothies... they are NOT filling for me... is it the chia? or the flax that adds the something for my chubby belly to do?

I'm sure it's the protein and fiber - that smoothie provides 40% of my daily fiber goal. If you wanted to do just chia or just flax, I'd recommend the chia, and work up to 1 tablespoon slowly if you're currently low in fiber.

By the way, chia needs to be soaked in a little liquid first. I start it right when I get up so it's ready when I'm ready to put the rest of the smoothie together. I like to do it for an hour but other places have said as little as 10 minutes. You can also soak it overnight in the frig. I'm currently using about 1/2 T of chia in about 1/4 c of water.

I don't like cold smoothies when it's cold out, and use warm tea for the liquid. I brew the tea and then drop frozen banana chucks into it - cooling the tea and warming the banana. Tea is also cheaper and less caloric than the almond or coconut milk often called for in smoothie recipes, and does not require refrigeration.

(To handle the problem of a whole banana being more than I want to use at one time, and a whole bunch of bananas being ripe at once, when they're ripe, I cut them up and freeze them.)
  • CrattleCrie
    Options
    @rabbitjb I'm about 5' 8" that's why I went down to 160 because that's my ideal weight, and then I rocketed up to 200 I'm guessing I weigh 214 could be less I weighed 200 when I last checked. Thanks for the site options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @realityfades Thanks for info, I like blue berries as well, but I found an awesome recipe that seemed more for my liking. I am kind of a wuss when it comes to certain foods, some stuff just makes me sick to my stomach.

Here is the link: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/160708/strawberry-banana-protein-smoothie/

Im not looking to get full off of the smoothie either, I usually don't eat breakfast so I'm not concerned about feeling full, like I read what someone else had said. I feel as if my metabolism needs a kick in the butt.

Looks yummy! 349 calories should fill you up for a while though. I make strawberry banana smoothies in the spring when I have strawberries in my garden. They don't do anything for my metabolism, however.

I would find this smoothie more filling if it had less carbs and more protein and fiber. I would decrease the fruit, add chia seeds, and up the protein powder. I'd experiment with vanilla or neutral protein powder over chocolate. I do like chocolate with banana, but am not sure about it for strawberries. Might work though. I'll try it in the spring.

c3cb67b02e6db292b9482ed0ea480abf.png
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @rabbitjb I'm about 5' 8" that's why I went down to 160 because that's my ideal weight, and then I rocketed up to 200 I'm guessing I weigh 214 could be less I weighed 200 when I last checked. Thanks for the site options

I'm also 5'8 .. started at 210 .. now 160 at goal .. it's possible :) .. and I'm an old(ish) woman

Your calories would drop to about 2130 at lightly active .. sorry

but your protein and fats should remain the same
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would save the money you're thinking of spending on a Bowflex. There is no magic tool. Find a good body weight circuit and do that instead. If you're consistent for a year and enjoy strength training and *still* want a Bowflex, maybe consider it then. It doesn't do anything you can't do with no equipment, or very little investment.

Good luck!
  • sstolii123
    Options

No need to stimulate anything - doesn't help weight loss .. your digestion doesn't shut down whilst you eat

skipping breakfast is personal choice - some feel energised by eating breakfast others don't

there is no such thing as 'fast mode' in terms of the metabolism .. there is adaptive thermogenesis but this ain't it

@rabbitjb Thank you for pointing out that your digestion does not shut down when you eat or should i say whilst you eat. Nowhere did I mention that.

So the countless studies that show eating breakfast helps with weight loss must be wrong along with the studies of the benefits of breaking up your meals into 6 or more small meals.

"To keep your metabolism running at full capacity, meaning you are always in a state of thermogenesis, you need to eat regular, frequent meals. According to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center, eating breakfast can increase your resting metabolism by up to 10 percent. But the metabolism increase from breakfast isn’t a magic way to lose weight. MayoClinic.com reports that despite the common belief of a slow metabolism causing people to be overweight, it is rarely the culprit."

Fromhttp://healthyeating.sfgate.com/breakfast-affect-metabolism-8697.html

Just one of the many articles on this. Take a moment to google some of the studies
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    @realityfades Thanks for info, I like blue berries as well, but I found an awesome recipe that seemed more for my liking. I am kind of a wuss when it comes to certain foods, some stuff just makes me sick to my stomach.

Here is the link: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/160708/strawberry-banana-protein-smoothie/

Im not looking to get full off of the smoothie either, I usually don't eat breakfast so I'm not concerned about feeling full, like I read what someone else had said. I feel as if my metabolism needs a kick in the butt.

It really doesn't you know

If you don't eat breakfast why waste calories on a smoothie?

I can't answer for that poster but I can answer for myself: having a smoothie in the morning helps me feel energized for the day. So while it is calories, 1. I log it and it's well within my range, 2. It provides me energy in the morning after running and 3. For whatever reason I prefer to drink calories in the morning than eat. I've never really been a breakfast eater, not even when I was a teenager.

that has nothing to do with kick starting metabolism...

meal timing has zero correlation to metabolism
  • ndj1979
    Options
    op - my advice would be to ditch the bowflex and join a gym and/or get a squat rack, bench, olympic bar and weights and run a program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine, in addition to eating in a calorie deficit.
  • sstolii123
    Options

ndj1979 wrote: »

I can't answer for that poster but I can answer for myself: having a smoothie in the morning helps me feel energized for the day. So while it is calories, 1. I log it and it's well within my range, 2. It provides me energy in the morning after running and 3. For whatever reason I prefer to drink calories in the morning than eat. I've never really been a breakfast eater, not even when I was a teenager.

Again lots of free opinion with Zero Studies or documentation.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you need a study for common knowledge?
  • Sued0nim
    Options

@rabbitjb Thank you for pointing out that your digestion does not shut down when you eat or should i say whilst you eat. Nowhere did I mention that.

So the countless studies that show eating breakfast helps with weight loss must be wrong along with the studies of the benefits of breaking up your meals into 6 or more small meals.

"To keep your metabolism running at full capacity, meaning you are always in a state of thermogenesis, you need to eat regular, frequent meals. According to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center, eating breakfast can increase your resting metabolism by up to 10 percent. But the metabolism increase from breakfast isn’t a magic way to lose weight. MayoClinic.com reports that despite the common belief of a slow metabolism causing people to be overweight, it is rarely the culprit."

Fromhttp://healthyeating.sfgate.com/breakfast-affect-metabolism-8697.html

Just one of the many articles on this. Take a moment to google some of the studies

lol I meant sleep not eat :)

Don't get your knowledge from articles and blogs ...go for the source study

You know where most of this originated ...a correlation not a causation from the national weight control registry where

"A large proportion of NWCR subjects (2313 or 78%) reported regularly eating breakfast every day of the week. Only 114 subjects (4%) reported never eating break- fast. There was no difference in reported energy intake between breakfast eaters and non-eaters, but breakfast eaters reported slightly more physical activity than non-breakfast eaters (p 0.05)."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1038/oby.2002.13/asset/oby.2002.13.pdf;jsessionid=31765648AF3BEE717A41597660E5A5DA.f01t03?v=1&t=ijlqlhaa&s=5592b7c46129bcba03970c00aad9c565e21a40db

Do you think the physical activity has something to do with this or it's the eating breakfast?

For the common man meal timing has no impact ...if you were an elite athlete mebbe more so

Also if you're interested look at TEF thermogenic effect of food which is the place this metabolism "rise" can comes from ...meal timing irrelevant, overall effect marginal
  • ndj1979
    Options

but I will play the study game...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

A series of short- and long-lasting experimental protocols of different meal timing regimes were performed in obese subjects to assess the possible occurrence of (1) a different metabolic fate of nutrients; (2) a phase shift of circadian rhythms of metabolic and hormonal parameters strictly related to nutrition; (3) a different weight loss. (A) In a short-lasting protocol (3 days) 15 obese subjects were fed a hypocaloric diet (684 kcal/day) (a) at 10 hr only, (b) at 1800 hr only; (c) at 1000 hr, 1400 hr and 1800 hr, or (d) studied during a 36-hr fasting. Measures of calorimetry (R.Q., CHO and lipid oxidations, energy expenditure), hormones (plasma cortisol, insulin, HGH, urinary catecholamines), urinary electrolytes (Na, K) and vital parameters (body temperature, heart rate, blood pressure) were carried out at 4-hr intervals for three days. A significantly higher lipid oxidation and a lower CHO oxidation were documented with the meal at 1800 hr, in comparison with the meal at 1000 hr. CHO and lipid oxidation circadian rhythms appeared the most affected by meal timing. (B) In a long-lasting protocol (18 days) 10 obese subjects were fed the same hypocaloric diet (a) at 1000 hr only and (b) at 1800 hr only. Calorimetric measures were performed every other day for 2 hr preceding each meal. Before and after the 18-days single meal period, body temperature, plasma cortisol, PRL and TSH were recorded (delta t = 4 hr). A higher lipid oxidation and a lower CHO oxidation were again demonstrated with the meal at 18 hr. Minimal changes of hormonal circadian rhythms were documented suggesting that the hypothalamus-hypophysis network is scarcely affected by meal timing. Weight loss did not vary in both short- and long-term protocol.