Ever felt like a diet slut? :/

Options
Ever been there? You eat relatively ok now, you sport regularly, but you don't lose weight consistently? You know all the healthy tips, you've done so much research - heck! you're like a walking health library! This you learned from trail and error, a cruel kind of Murphy's law in the world of weight loss... Anything that can be done wrong in the world of weight loss has already been done by you. You've tried ALL the restriction diets (by now you think you can even alphabetize the diets you've tried), you've eaten too much when exercising (over-compensatory eating), you've eaten too little (slows metabolism), you lost weight then gained it back on vacation, and now you're just struggling to find a healthy lifestyle that works for YOU. But how do you start over again for the 1000th time?! After more than a decade it can get tiring...

What guarantee is there that this time will be different? I know people say don't give up but how can't you if you feel like no matter what you do everything you do is wrong? - or if you have to torture yourself, kill and repeat to lose 5 lbs.

There is little more to say than that I'm starting from the bottom (with an all time low motivation). If you've been here or if you are here now, PLEASE let me know how you got out of here! And also (if you like) I'm looking for someone to become pen-palls with to be more accountable and share thoughts with. So if you knows this feeling, have conquered or are going to try again send me a message^^

Thanks for reading my rant

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    You'll find success when you discover a balanced way of eating that you can sustain for life. The same goes for exercise, find something you love and it's no longer work. Neither diet nor exercise should be viewed as punishment. Make it sustainable and this time will be different.
  • courtniekrebs
    courtniekrebs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Preaching to the choir. I feel instead of thinking of losing weight I try to find a goal or something I want to accomplish. A long time friend of mine started to do figure/bikini contests. I'm inspired to do the same. I know as of this point I need to be focusing on reducing BMI. It helps keep me on track for the most part. I'd love to help you anyway I can and have the same support
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    you just have to find a blueprint that works for YOU. It's all a discovery process. It's difficult to ride the motivational roller coaster. If you are sticking to it 80% of the time, you are winnning!
  • Sirenova
    Sirenova Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys! and I definitely appreciate it. It's a good way to look at it more as fun than as actual punishment or something. I'm going to get back on that horse, even if it is 80 % of the time :)
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Been there done that, got all the t-shirts from 2x to medium (never small)..

For me it was about IDENTIFYING the problem... I am not a big snacker, not crazy about sweets, and rarely eat breakfast or lunch, so I thought, ? I DON'T EAT THAT MUCH AND I AM ACTIVE, so how on earth can I be this big??

The answer:
    I just didn't get hungry during the day when I was home alone and busy,during those hours I lived on Coffee, and Cokes (sometimes diet sometimes regualr) but then at night when it was time to get dinner for my husband I would smell the food and become ravenous. Then I would make up for all I didn't eat all day long with one HUGE meal with a couple glasses of wine just before bed.

The Solution:
    I know I could go on some crash diet, cut calories to 1000/day exercise lose weight and look and feel GREAT, I have done it. But it didn't stick because that isn't my lifestyle. I want to do things I can LIVE with, FOREVER

I still don't like to eat during the day when im alone and busy (eating is more social for me than physical) but I know I NEED to fill my body during those times so I am not so starved at night. So I drink smoothies, they add nutrients and keep my body going without adding a lot of calories. I DO NOT eat different meals from my hubby because that will not be my way of life, I just cut WAY down on portions. and I eat mine earlier in the day (had to cut the social thing of eating with him, because he gets home so late) I have more time to burn it off before bed. I use a small bowl for whatever I am eating rather than a plate, can't fit as much in there and NO refills. I DO NOT hit the gym and kill myself 2 hours a day because i do not enjoy that kind of exercise and I know that will not be my way of life. I just get up and get moving and try to find ways to burn more calories doing natural daily activities.

I am not saying this will work for you, I am just showing you how you need to IDENTIFY why you are gaining in the first place and address that behavior on a PERMANENT basis rather than being a serial dieter

I don't know if it is true for everyone, but for most people I know, the smaller changes work better (although slower) and last longer than the drastic ones.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The thing that i have found to work best for me is counting my Macros, if i don't i find i will never get enough protein in my diet!