Garmin Vivosmart HR vs Fitbit Charge HR

Hi all,
I'm looking for a fitness tracker that does my heart rate, and I think I have it narrowed down to these two. Has anyone done this comparison, or does anyone have experience with these devices? I know fitbit has a rather loyal fan base, and the contrary child in me automatically wants to go against the need, so I'm looking for some objective thoughts on the matter.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Garmin one - I like the display itself - as well as the info available on it - better, it's waterproof, and I've heard the HR monitor is a little more accurate.

What I really want from the device is max data. I want constant heart rate monitoring, steps, floors climbed, sleep tracking, and I want a nifty app to let me look at graphs and numbers and comparisons.

Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• kim8400
    kim8400 Posts: 1 Member
    I received fitbit charge hr for christmas it was so easy to setup and use LOVE this thing and it syncs this app flawlessly. LOVE IT!
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Tagging for interest

Check out / Google for dcrainmaker.com. You will find very in depth reviews on the garmin and I think the Fitbit also
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    I love data- The Fitbit IMO does a great job of having all the graphs charts and numbers I want to see.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Maybe find friends who have these and take a look at their apps to see what they look like?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive. My final choices were down to the Mio Fuse, the Apple Watch and the Fitbit Charge HR. Honestly, the chest strap hrm closed the deal for me. I bought mine 7 months ago and all the research at the time talked about the chest straps more accurately monitoring hr. I care about hr when I'm training, not 24--pretty sure I have one when i'm not exercising.

Really happy with my choice!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    you can create an account for both devices to preview what the charts look like. You dont need a device, Garmin charts blow away Fitbit charts. However, fitbit has better challenges.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    I have a Vivosmart and LOVE it.
    Lots of data (the sleep is particularly interesting). It monitors HR every 5 mins at rest and every 1 min while exercising. I like the app and it syncs with MFP no problem. Once in a while it won't sync with Garmin Connect but I just hit the sync button on the tracker and it works fine. I like that it's waterproof and I like the alarm clock vibration. It tells you to move and you get a move bar that you have to clear. Lots of data on the tracker itself independent of the app if you don't have your phone (time/date, HR, calories, floors climbed, steps, intensity minutes, km walked).
    I really can't think of one thing I don't like....the charging cable is a little finicky but that's my biggest complaint.
  • mghuss
    mghuss Posts: 22 Member
    Don't buy the vivosmart until they fix the software. The heart rate monitor only works correctly if you're in "running" mode. If you're trying to monitor heart rate during any other activities it will just read 72. :(
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    mghuss wrote: »
    Don't buy the vivosmart until they fix the software. The heart rate monitor only works correctly if you're in "running" mode. If you're trying to monitor heart rate during any other activities it will just read 72. :(

Not my experience at all tbh.

For the originator, you're unlikely to get someone who's tried both answering the question. Personally I use a Vivosmart as I also have a Forerunner and I'm looking at an Edge device, so I want data integration. Fitbit is an entry levle range and their GPS equipped device is pretty low end performance.

The Fitbit user base is, as you observe, a bit of a cult but that does suggest good commubnity features, which to be honest Garmin doesn't focus on. That's not the target demographic for Garmin whose focus is on sports performance tools.

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    mghuss wrote: »

I haven't had this experience either. I also narrowed it down to the Vivosmart and the Fitbit HR. I went with the Vivosmart because I wanted to use a chest strap and I already had a compatible one because I have a Forerunner. I bought my BF the Fitbit HR and he seems to really like it. I also take into the account the reviews from DC Rainmaker and Rizknows.