magnesium?

Options
Hi
I just bought some magnesium to help with some of my muscle soreness. I was wondering if you can take it twice a day or if you can only take it once a day? If you can only take it once a day What time of day is better? Please and thank you for posting.

Replies

• tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Is this a bad spot for asking this question or does no one want to answer me? Please and thank you for posting.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I did not know it was from exercise.
    Edited: You need to see a doctor. Walking /running that short distance should NOT give you muscle pain that you live with day after day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What strength and which type?
  • tenkides
    Options
    I am walking/ running. 1.5 to 2 miles a day. I know i don't get everything from food. Also i have been taking nexium for acid reflux since I was 10. When I took it after my surgery 4 years ago it helped with my spazums in my back. Which I have already had looked at and they say its just because i have some very weak muscles in my back. Do you know the right dosage and what time is better?
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've heard of epsom salt soaks for soreness (magnesium salts) but never thought about the supplement for that reason. I take Magnesium at night once a day or so. I read somewhere its helpful for restful sleep or something, I can't recall at this point. Try examine.com for uses.
  • tenkides
    Options
    250Mg , capsule, nature's made.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    tenkides wrote: »
    Hi
    I just bought some magnesium to help with some of my muscle soreness. I was wondering if you can take it twice a day or if you can only take it once a day? If you can only take it once a day What time of day is better? Please and thank you for posting.

Are there not directions on the label?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    250Mg , capsule, nature's made.

Is it an oxide or a citrate?
  • tenkides
    Options
    I couldn't find any.
  • erinm5
    erinm5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi

Magnesium is awesome as a muscle relaxant and can actually be super beneficial when taken at night time to aid in sleep. You should start with 250 mg taken in the evenings and see how that helps
  • tenkides
    Options
    Oxide
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Oxide absorbs less due to what it is chelated with. Take one as 250mg is a high dose. I'd take it before bed and see how you get on with it.
    You could go to 11/2 if the soreness continues and your bowels are ok with it but I'd take the other half after breakfast.
    It can collide with some medications so if you are on any check with a pharmacist. It is mainly anti biotics you have to watch with it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ask your doctor or pharmacist (make sure you tell the pharm it is for msucle soreness)... I am not sure that they will say this for muscle soreness but maybe for muscle cramping of you are indeed deficient in mag from your diet.

I might add, if you are def in mag you may be def in potassium as well... these work togther.
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oxide could give you the trots at higher amounts. Citrate or malate or chelated is less likely to do so.

There is no harm in taking the recommended daily amount. I take it daily to help with muscle soreness from exercise. Epsom salt bath is good too if you have a bath tub.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/magnesium
  • tenkides
    Options
    Ok i didn't want to persue the potassium because myfitnesspal and most packages don't show potassium. So i don't have a good track of what im getting from my diet.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    Stop walking for 1 week to allow your muscles to heal?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,034 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find any.

I've never seen supplements sold in the US that did not contain a directions section. If it's vague, like on my Twinlab 400 mg magnesium oxide "Take one capsule daily" then it doesn't matter in general.

I don't find that mine makes me sleepy, otherwise I would take it at night.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The whole thing sounds odd. I have been sore from walking and just took Advil for a day. And rested.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,034 Member
    Options
    I am walking/ running. 1.5 to 2 miles a day. I know i don't get everything from food. Also i have been taking nexium for acid reflux since I was 10. When I took it after my surgery 4 years ago it helped with my spazums in my back. Which I have already had looked at and they say its just because i have some very weak muscles in my back. Do you know the right dosage and what time is better?

Maybe warming up before and after would be good for you? What are you doing to strengthen your back muscles?
  • tenkides
    Options
    A routine from my doctor, so it can't get worse. I do some warmup and cool down already but I'm probably not doing everything I should because i never could really do much in athletics so i don't really know what to do.