can a 46 year old, with health issues, trim down inches

Options
13»

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'm 42 and have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I've lost about 70 lbs. in the last year by limiting my calories, dealing with food allergies, and moving around a whole lot more than I have in the last few years. You can do this as well if you've got the motivation from within to do so.
  • lizbess1
    lizbess1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    48, and have had health issues since I was in my early 20's, in 2001 I hurt my back and ended up with bulging discs in lower back in 05 had something drop on my head and ended up with herniated discs in my neck, by 2011 I had been in a wheelchair for approximately 3 years on and off with the last year mostly on and over 10 years with using a cane. A year after back surgery I knew I needed to do something about the weight I had gained (over 30lbs while in that chair) so I tried to start walking as much as I could. That wasn't enough I then had to learn to do the one thing I swore I never would ever do and that was to count calories and now since January I have lost another 30lbs along with the 20 that I had lost on my own before joining MFP. It has taken me a year to get this far but I have not seen this weight that I am at in almost 25 years.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and have really bad knees. I run withe my three kids and I can run farther and faster than they can. We do 5Ks and they give out medals by age group and they give them out to people as old as 75 years old. A couple of weeks ago I made first place in my age group and 2nd female in (1st female was way younger than me). So it is all about what you want!! Give it you all and don;t give up and in the end you may have less health issues!! Good luck :-)
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous, the ONLY reason it gets harder as we get older is because we are more set in our unhealthy ways and tend to give up when results aren't immediate.
    I am 50 and 'handicapped', sorry I find that word limiting, I have lost 45 lb. since Feb. and am on track to lose another 45 before Christmas. It's all about setting small goals and rewarding yourself when you achieve them.
    Oh, and FYI, the secret to sustainable weight loss is 80% what you put in your mouth and 20% moving your body. No excuses, if you plan to enjoy your golden years, you need to get focused and JUST DO IT!
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You want a sure fire, 100% effective way to lose weight and get healthier? Stop eating garbage, get off your *kitten*, and do something! That's what my grandmother told me. Only problem is, it took me 58 years to take it to heart. Smart woman.....
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Not only is it possible it is a GREAT idea.

I am 46 and have RA, and Fibromyalgia. I am going through the wonderful {{insert sarcasm and eye roll here}} change and I have lost weight.
    32 pounds as of this posting. It is slow going, but that is good. I started this journey January 11, 2013.
    I feel better than I have felt in decades. My RA symptoms are gone and my fibromyalgia is no longer an issue because I am no longer in pain. I truly believe the health issues were caused by my weight and lousy diet.

Currently I am walking 4-5 miles a day, everyday, using an elliptical machine 3 days a week for 30 minutes, crunches, squats and my newest love, shadow boxing.

Was losing 32 pounds easy? HELL NO!
    Was it worth it? YES and I am not done. I still want to lose 20 more.

I hear so many women say they can't lose weight because of their age and hormones. I do not believe it. If you are burning more calories than you are consuming you WILL LOSE weight.

Also if you have health problems, move your body. Exercise has been my life saver.

I am by no means a "clean" eater and I don't do powders or pills. I have made life style changes that I can live with. I eat what I want when I want it, within reason. I weigh and measure my foods so I don't over or underestimate the calories I am consuming.

Anything is possible if you forget all of the excuses and just do it.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You want a sure fire, 100% effective way to lose weight and get healthier? Stop eating garbage, get off your *kitten*, and do something! That's what my grandmother told me. Only problem is, it took me 58 years to take it to heart. Smart woman.....

She was a wise lady with good advise.

It's taken me 48 years for those wise words to sink in :)