Low calorie nutrient dense meals?

Options
Week 3 of calorie reduction and general healthy eating for me and so far so good, but I keep worrying about nutrient levels, particularly calcium and iron. Meat and dairy are great but tend to tip the scales for calories and protein so much that I have to compensate for the rest of the day.

Can you recommend favorite low calorie (<350) yet balanced (carb-protein-fat ratios) meals which give a lot of nutritional bang for their buck?

Thanks!

Replies

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Couple of eggs over sauteed spinach with some salsa. Yolks have good nutrients but you can add a few more egg whites for volume.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    One of our go-tos here to keep iron up is black beans with kale. I take a can of black beans, drain and rinse it to remove sodium, and a cup of chopped kale, put them in a pan with just enough 99% fat free chicken broth to cover the beans and simmer it down. Sometimes I'll use salt free seasoning (I like McCormick's All Purpose) or add a little minced garlic and onion. (I buy low-sodium broth but if sodium isn't a problem for you don't worry about that part)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're going to find it difficult to accurately track calcium and iron on here as so many entries don't include them

• kf1834
    kf1834 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Rabbit - thank you for the tip, I was wondering about that!
    Elizabeth and besee - great ideas!

Please keep them coming!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    If you are indeed a bit worried, don't forget that a daily multivitamin can offer some peace of mind.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My fav is a massive bowl of baby spinach with chopped chicken, strawberrues, feta cheese, strawberry dressing and walnuts if i have the calories.