Apple Watch

Hi,

Anyone using an Apple Watch to track fitness etc? If so how are you finding it & how accurate do you think it actually is?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I've been using mine for 4 months. Distance is close enough when walking/running outdoors (I also have my phone with me so it's using the phone's GPS) - on a known 1-mile distance it's within a couple hundred feet. I've compared the watch's heart rate monitor against the grip monitor on cardio machines and also manual palpation (counting it at the radial artery) and it's usually within 1-2 beats. Like any other HRM, it's useful for steady-state cardio, not so much for other stuff (e.g. weight lifting). The number of calories burned (overall/daily) matches up pretty closely with the online TDEE calculators I've used. On Monday mornings, it gives a summary of the previous week showing calories burned, distance traveled, active time, etc. and prompts you to set your daily calorie burn ("move") goal for the week - if you exceeded your goal every day the prior week, it will keep bumping it up to motivate you to move more (but you can manually override it if you choose).

The "rings" (move, stand, exercise) motivate me to move more, just like my old Fitbit did. I find them to be a good reminder because they're there every time I look at my watch, showing how much I've done (or haven't done, if it's a lazy day). It makes me want to get at least 30 minutes of exercise in every day, even if it's just a brisk walk, to close that 'exercise' ring. Even if the HRM and distance/steps weren't particularly accurate, I'd still like it just for the motivation it provides.

There are more sport-specific training watches which I'm sure are better suited to 'serious' athletes training for specific goals, but for the average person who just wants to move more, get in better shape and have an idea of how much they're moving and how many calories they're burning, the Apple Watch does a fine job IMO.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Hubby has it. He LOVES it. Its pretty dang accurate for HRM. (and for the price it should be) ;)
  • WayneEccott
    WayneEccott Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks guys! I've used it for a couple of days now & it seems to do a fine job & motivate me a fair bit too which is always a bonus for a lazy *kitten* like me
  • I'm leaning towards buying an Apple Watch soon. I'm not a serious athlete -- heck, I HATE exercise -- but just want to get generally more fit and motivated. For those of you who've had the AW awhile, how do you like it now? Are you still using it?
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Absolutely love mine! I've had it since August of last year and even my boyfriend (not an apple fan) wanted, and got, one for Christmas. I wouldn't be without mine now
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    I love mine. I have had it since they first came out. My only wish is they had more choices for types of workouts but I am sure they are working on it, lol.
  • Very good to know -- thanks to you both!
    I know I should wait a little longer to see if the 2nd gen version comes out (sometime later this year from what I've read), but I'm anxious to start using it now, not later!
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    I heard next year but good luck. My kids are waiting for me to get the next version so they can have this one, lol
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I had one for 2 weeks before returning it. The HR sensor on the watch was totally inaccurate for weightlifting as well as HIIT workouts, which are my primary workouts. There were times that it reported my resting HR wrong as well. Overall it wasn't bad, but it still has a way to go as far as fitness tracking goes to be up there with the likes of Fitbit and Garmin for example.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited March 2016
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I had one for 2 weeks before returning it. The HR sensor on the watch was totally inaccurate for weightlifting as well as HIIT workouts, which are my primary workouts. There were times that it reported my resting HR wrong as well. Overall it wasn't bad, but it still has a way to go as far as fitness tracking goes to be up there with the likes of Fitbit and Garmin for example.

I'm going to amend what I posted here to a certain extent as Apple Watch 2.2 either fixed the resting HR problem that I had or the fact that I got a brand new one and it actually works as it should. I went to Bestbuy today to look at a case for my iPhone 6S and got to talking with one of the Apple reps. Long story short, he talked me into giving the watch another try, only this time, updating the OS to 2.2. I set up the Apple Watch from a backup even though I was going to set it up as new. I added all of the workout blocks and other Heath info on to the HealthKit dashboard that the Apple rep. said would make the Watch more useful for my fitness needs. Turns out, he was right. I now LOVE the my new Apple Watch. It gives me all of my fitness data that I had with My Fitbit App plus a few extra things that I find make it more useful. I want for a 5.1 mile walk/run with my Apple Watch this afternoon and the HR sensor was within 2 beats of what my Polar FT 7 was reading. I still won't rely on it totally for my HIIT and Weighlifting workouts, but as long as the reading isn't too far off I'll be ok with that. Just checked my resting pulse with the Watch HR sensor and manually and it was within 1-2 beats. So again, either my first Apple Watch had a bad sensor or the 2.2 fixed an issue with the HR sensor. Either way, I really like the Apple Watch now and have no problem recommending it to others as long as it's updated to 2.2. :)
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    I have had one since Christmas and love it. It does motivate me to move when I have been sitting for too long.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    I have had one since Christmas and love it. It does motivate me to move when I have been sitting for too long.

I just noticed that it has a get up and move alert. I won't hit the 12 hour stand goal that it has preset today as I won't have it on for that many hours before going to bed for the night. Tomorrow I'll hit it since it will be on for a full day.
  • Thanks for everyone's input. I think the m going to go ahead and get one soon (birthday coming up next month, and I've hinted pretty heavily in my husband's direction!). Sounds just about perfect for my needs.