Trying to loose weight and control my sugar addiction...

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The problem with calling your fondness for sweets an "addiction" is that it mentally excuses you from having responsibility for and control over it. If you want to eat fewer sweets, I would actually suggest that you begin by not using that particular term, especially when you are talking to yourself. Think of it instead as a few simple habits that you have that just want to change. You want (for instance) to start having water or tea or even diet soda with lunch instead of soda with sugar. You want to have only one small sweet snack after dinner, or maybe you want to have dessert only once or twice a week. Maybe you want to cut out dessert and soda altogether, but I don't personally see why that is necessary, since you like dessert. In any case, think about the specific, small, manageable acts that you want to do, and not about a large, general state of "addiction," which is just a mental trick that you are playing on yourself anyway, to excuse the habits you want to break.

This is only true if one buys in to the powerlessness model of addiction, which many, including myself, do not.

And neither is the OP - she is looking for help.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

^I was looking for this to post earlier and couldn't find it. An excellent thread to read.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I was excited for a minute thinking she was back, but her home page still suggests she is gone :sad:
  • lisaandersonmann
    lisaandersonmann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »
    I haven't had a regular soda in over ten years and I don't miss it at all. Only occasionally (once or twice a year, at the movie theater) I might get a diet soda. Otherwise, I love my unsweet tea and sparkling water.

I quit drinking soda years ago, too. For a few weeks, I actually craved soda, but that went away, and now, on the rare occasion I've had one, I dislike it. It tastes sickly sweet to me now--I have no idea how I used to drink one every day. Try quitting for 4 weeks, and tell yourself you can drink them again after 4 weeks. I bet after 4 weeks you won't want them--or even like them--anymore.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Like you I had soda with lunch and dinner, one when I got home from work. You get the idea. I recently went cold turkey on the soda (and yes experienced horrible headaches and had to go to bed at 8pm every night for a week). For 9-10 weeks I drank the occasional low fat chocolate milk but mostly water or sparkling water.

While I was cold turkey I changed my habits. I dont have a drink with any meal now. I fill up my drink bottle after I eat lunch and then drink and I drink sparkling water while cooking dinner and again afterwards but not with. Filling up the car, I wouldnt even buy a sparkling water while I was paying for fuel. You get the idea. I changed the triggers of when I would mindlessly drink soda and forget I'd even consumed it.

Now I am back to drinking soda, not every day. I am trying to keep it to a weekend thing but that doesnt always happen but now its quite a conscious decision to drink it rather than a habit.

Can help you on the dessert thing. We rarely had dessert as kids it was more of a special treat thing, my kids dont really think dessert is an everyday thing either. I do tend to buy things they eat and I dont (icypoles) for them.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Is Sugar a Drug? Addiction Explained

http://www.livescience.com/40749-addiction-drugs-sugar.html

Can you be addicted to sugar?

"Although many people like sweets, and would likely choose chocolate cake over fruit for dessert, this does not mean they're addicted to sugar, Frascella said.

But a small percentage of people may truly become addicted, experiencing the type of loss of control around food that is characteristic of addiction, Frascella said.

London said she would not call this a sugar addiction, but rather, "pathological obesity."
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    New Research Shows How the Liver Fights off Sugar Craving

http://fortune.com/2015/12/29/liver-sugar-cravings/
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    1. You are not addicted to sugar. You like sugar a lot.
    2. You can eat whatever you like within your caloric goals and lose weights.
    3. Retraining habits takes time and conscious effort but it's very achievable.
    4. Calling liking sweets "addiction" demonstrates a severe lack of understanding what physiological addiction is.

I like you @tomteboda
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I am motivated to eat healthier and have less calories. I am even walking my dog after work. My biggest problem is I'm addicted to sugar. I always drink a soda with my meals and as a child I always ate dinner to get dessert. I do that now. I wish there was an easy way to curb my sugar cravings. Is there spill out there, like they have for smokers? :)

How about diet soda?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    There is a book out there called "I quit sugar". I found it at a thrift store. The cravings are very real. You are not alone.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    1. You are not addicted to sugar. You like sugar a lot.
    2. You can eat whatever you like within your caloric goals and lose weights.
    3. Retraining habits takes time and conscious effort but it's very achievable.
    4. Calling liking sweets "addiction" demonstrates a severe lack of understanding what physiological addiction is.

I like you @tomteboda

If sugar were a true addiction people would scoop spoonfuls of sugar (mary poppins aside) out of a bowl to feed it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Now that song from "Mary Poppins" is running through my head!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Noooooooooooooooo!!!! Now it's on perma-replay! Make it stop!

0cmx9dueckna.gif
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There is a book out there called "I quit sugar". I found it at a thrift store. The cravings are very real. You are not alone.

I found that book too:

fzwh6yo7zt8n.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I found that book too:

fzwh6yo7zt8n.jpg

I love you!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I dare you to walk up to a methadone clinic at 6 am in the morning and tell the people standing in line that you are addicted to sugar . see what stories they can tell you about addiction. They have a physical dependence on an opioid. Without it, they will become very ill. They will experience symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, shakes, cramping and so on. That is a physical dependence. They are addicted to an opioid. The withdraw they go through is much different then wanting to eat sugary snacks.

With that being said, I do remember feeling just like you op. There was a time where I could not get a handle on my over eating. I craved treats and would over eat every day. I remember feeling powerless . the good news is that I was able to see the light. I learned that if I wanted to change then I had to work for it. I got to the bottom of the issues that lead me to overeat . I truly wanted to change so I made it happen. You can to !

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    2675228160_5fa97f7a93_z.jpg?zz=1
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I dare you to walk up to a methadone clinic at 6 am in the morning and tell the people standing in line that you are addicted to sugar . see what stories they can tell you about addiction. They have a physical dependence on an opioid. Without it, they will become very ill. They will experience symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, shakes, cramping and so on. That is a physical dependence. They are addicted to an opioid. The withdraw they go through is much different then wanting to eat sugary snacks.

With that being said, I do remember feeling just like you op. There was a time where I could not get a handle on my over eating. I craved treats and would over eat every day. I remember feeling powerless . the good news is that I was able to see the light. I learned that if I wanted to change then I had to work for it. I got to the bottom of the issues that lead me to overeat . I truly wanted to change so I made it happen. You can to !

I like you