Man, Do I Hate to Exercise...........

Options
........So I eat well and make good food choices. But I live a very sedentary lifestyle and lifting, tugging and pulling weight plates at the gym could not be more boring and less appealing to me. I've done it. I'm a bit like a dog that needs its medication hidden inside of his food. I would like to learn how to box to stay in shape, but things are tough right now because I am unemployed. So I walk a lot. I live in Manhattan so it's pretty easy to walk five miles at a clip without noticing how far you've gone. My weight is not bad - it's just that 99% of that weight comes in the form of flab. I'm "skinny-fat" as I was once told. 6 feet, 160 lbs. Anyway, thanks for having me - my problem (surprise, surprise) is motivation. Best wishes to all.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You could start with bodyweight exercises. It's easier to "find" the motivation after I start exercising. Something about getting stronger and noticing improvements, plus forming a habit, helps me keep going.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Stick to some basics: pullups, pushups, body weight squats are enough to just stay in shape if performed correctly and there are enough sets and reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    To fight "skinny-fat" exercising is the best way to go. Any movement will help, they say weightlifting is the best. I swim, myself, but it is costly. You have to find something you like to do, or you'll just give up. Maybe get creative--dancing, biking, there are so many things to do. Do you have a friend to do things with? That can help when you hate exercising. Best of luck.