Food on the go

Options
Hi guys,

I'm after ideas of food that I can eat on the go. I work as a social worker, doing 14 hour days so never get time to sit down and eat 'proper' meals.
Any ideas of quick yet delicious snacks and recipes would be most appreciated :)

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Do you need to eat in your car, or are you in an office setting? Do you have access to a fridge and/or microwave? Do you have any dietary restrictions?
  • lou1105
    lou1105 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Do you need to eat in your car, or are you in an office setting? Do you have access to a fridge and/or microwave? Do you have any dietary restrictions?

It'll be mainly eating in the car, on the way to meetings etc. I probably spend one day a week in the office where I have access to both fridge and microwave. And no, no dietary requirements :)
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    I'd recommend a thermal lunch bag, or a cooler for your car, and a large refillable water bottle - one with a wide enough opening so you can add ice if you like your water cold.

Some things you can eat while driving (although I don't really recommend it for safety reasons): Cut up raw fruits and veggies, chunks of cheese, crackers, peanut butter sandwiches, melted cheese on toast, cherry tomatoes, nuts

Some things that take 2 hands: Yogurt, sandwiches with stuff that'll fall out if you eat it with one hand, hard boiled eggs, those cup up veggies with some dip, grilled chicken on a green salad, leftovers from last night's dinner, hummus, wraps.

Regardless of how busy your day is, you need to take some actual breaks. It's not healthy to be on the go for 14 hours a day, day after day, and not take a breather! Pull over somewhere, take a deep breath and have some food. Listen to soothing music, close your eyes, and let your body relax. You can always set a timer in case you fall asleep. You'll be better for your clients and employers, as well as yourself, if you're fed, rested and centered.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the thermal lunch bag, but some non refrigerated things that I love----

Tuna!! I LOVE those tuna sensations with the crackers, they come in three flavors.
    NUTS!
    Peanut butter--- eat on anything you want, bring a tablespoon with you or measure out before you leave home
    popcorn- I buy the pre-prepared flavored bags for 150 calories each
    rice cakes (add that peanut butter on top)
    protein bars

but mostly, I suggest the lunch bag-- bring sandwiches, wraps, veggies, hummus, cheese, all sorts of stuff.
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    Not for the OP, because she seems to have enough going on and not a lot of spare time, but for anyone else reading this.... look online for "bento lunches". You're welcome. :smile:
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Wraps might be a good idea. They are easy to eat on the go, as well as being delicious and versatile. And I agree with 64crayons. If you live in the US and are working 14 hour days, you are guaranteed a lunch break by law. You are in one of the most underpaid and overstressed occupations, and you need and deserve to give yourself a break.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Broth soup works well in a to go coffee cup so you can pack a thermos of chicken, beef, tomato or split pea.