I can't believe this is what my cauliflower cost today...

Options
vegmebuff
vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
It actually cost me $5.99 for my cauliflower today...

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I know it's crazy! Prices in Canada are through the roof for veggies and fruits this week!! Very unfortunate!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-once-ignored-cauliflower-is-now-as-popular-as-j-law--and-its-799-a-head/2016/01/15/5ef7e846-b867-11e5-99f3-184bc379b12d_story.html
    High demand, unseasonably cool temperatures in farming regions and limited supply are resulting in scarcity or absurd prices for the latest “it” food.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I would probably just stick to frozen for a while. I haven't noticed a change in those prices.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Speaking of cauliflower...I bought some really pretty heads of cauliflower Saturday...orange, purple and green. I paid about $3 a head but they were on the small side. I couldn't resist all those colors.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had to put some asparagus back because I was so appalled with the price
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    $8.00+ a head up here in Toronto, frozen veggies is the way to go this winter!
  • CNACHEFCHAZZ
    CNACHEFCHAZZ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    yeah, its 5.99 here as well. please...
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I paid $3 for a ginormous head yesterday. (It might have been only $2 - I don't remember for sure which it was.)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    $8.00+ a head up here in Toronto, frozen veggies is the way to go this winter!

That is unbelievable. Maybe I'll start eating steak lol
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Yeah, I had to put some asparagus back because I was so appalled with the price

I bypassed on the asparagus too...it was 5.99 a lb.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, plain asparagus is 4.98. Purple is a dollar less.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You guys must live up in the tundra or something. A huge head of white cauliflower costs $2.99 where I live. Festival cauliflower costs $3.99.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I know it's crazy! Prices in Canada are through the roof for veggies and fruits this week!! Very unfortunate!

6mdxcxkszziu.jpg

u5m7c18wh8ze.jpg

Another Canadian here!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I live pretty much in Vancouver, BC so yea far from rural
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When fresh veggies are super expensive - head to the freezer aisle. Generally frozen veggies are packaged in season and thus are less expensive and they still have the nutritional value.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Expensive here too. And I cannot stand many frozen veggies, cauliflower included.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Time to grow your own!
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I bought a beautiful head of cauliflower last week for 5 dollars and told the cashier to handle it carefully, it was made of gold...this is a rough winter to be a vegetarian!!
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Time to grow your own!

Except our growing season is about 16 weeks in a good year. I'm paying the crazy prices when I'm able too. Fresh from California tastes a lot better than frozen from Safeway.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I've noticed it lately too. I am not paying $10 for strawberries, that's nuts!

Stupid Canadian dollar...grumble. At least gas has come down a bit.